Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1972 Nova that was originally white with red a blue 1" painted stripes down the outer edges of the hood and trunk lid. It also had a red,white and blue design on the front center of the hood and the same design under the 'Nova' on the fenders. There is also the same design on a metal tag on the grill with a #1 on the design.The car has factory front disk brakes, buckets with floor shifter w/console that includes a 4 gauge cluster, tach in the speedo and a rear defroster blower in the package tray. I have never seen one of these Nova's and trying to find out the details for it. I found a picture of the same paint scheme on musclecarfacts.com under 1972 Nova. Any info is appreciated. This is not the same as the 1974 sprit of America.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Welcome to the site dpdmarine!!! If anybody is going to know about that Nova, it is somebody on this site!

www.musclecarfacts.com seems to sell books more than display facts. It says that in 1972 "SS" meant nothing more than a "trim and beauty package". Not true. In 1972 a SS Nova was the only Nova available with a L48 350 4-bbl engine. It was rated with a higher HP output than the L65 350 2-bbl engine.

Here is a picture of the car dpdmarine is talking about:

Randy (Hope somebody knows something!);)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Wow! That's a first, what the heck is it?
M

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Those crazy dealers, always stickin stuff onto cars :D
M

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for the info. I thought about it possibly being a dealer trimmed car but I have the Protect O Plate and the dealer is/was in Rushville, Indiana. When I saw the picture on the musclecarfacts website I thought it would be odd for them to have a picture of a car done up at a dealership in a small Indiana city. But since I can't find ANY info on this car it leads me to believe that it is more than likely dealer trimmed. Thx again!

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
What does it say on the tin badge on the grill? It looks like there is something on the sail panels also. Is there, and if so, what is it?

Looking at the pictures, it seem like they are a little too nice and professional for an ad from a dealership. That picture seems like it is from a magazine ad.

I would like to know if it really is a dealer modified car, or if it is a GM promo car. The ad quality photo makes me think GM promo.

Randy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
72GreenRally....The grill badge is the same design that you see on the hood and fenders with the addition of a #1 in the center. I can't tell you what that is on the sail panels, my car has been primered before I bought it, the deck lid is the only part still white with the faded stripes. I have to agree with you on the promo theory. The fact that no one can tell me what this is for sure has made me even more curious. The car was sold at Christian Chevrolet in Rushville, Indiana in Aug. 1972 and remained in that area until last year. I have the registration for everyyear it was registered in Indiana. It has 60k original miles. I tried to locate the dealer online but could not find it. Any idea of the value of a promo car in original condition?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If you could find all the decals and badges for the car and get it back to excellent condition it could be extremely valuable. The hardest part I see is finding the documentation on the car that some how points to your cars vin as a Promo Car! Otherwise anybody with a numbers car that can get ahold of the badges and decals could say their car is a Promo car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the grill emblem and it is in good condition. It appears as though it could have been hand painted? The stripes and emblems on the car were painted on, not decals. I have 2 photo's of my car when the original owner brought it home from the dealer. I also have the service manual w/ the dealers name on it and the Protect O Plate. Once again, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Wow, just when you thought you've seen it all :eek:
Cool car - those crazy dealers in Indiana :D (my Yenko is from Nankivell in Indy!)
M

·
Registered
569 Posts
very interesting find.

it would appear ( and I'm guessing here ? ) it may have been some sort of reigonal promotion or special edition ?
or over the counter / dealer installed ( ala the dual 4 bbl 69 crossrams, don't you wish again, lol ).

Similar tot he 4th Generation Nova Shark edition ?
Or the 76 Medalist ( although that was factory, just little known, I have one I'm rebuilding now) .

I"m curious as to the VIN / body numbers on that - if it's a true promo ( ie: early model year to promote the sales,etc ), should be real low ?

reason for my curiousity there, is I own a 1972 I belive to be a dealer promo car, was a one owner little old lady car, but was titled with something like 3600 miles on it, - wish I knew more ( car was purchased by myself in the Philadelphia ,PA area about 15-17 years ago, when I was working for a small local car dealer as a wheel-jockey.
stubbled on it and bought for 800 bucks at auction. Unfortunately the dealer did NOT copy the original A title as asked, and we had a falling out afterwards, so not sure how to get any of the documentation.
Car is a 307, TH350, ruber floor mats,cloth base seats but has stereo radio with rear speaker,power steering and disc brakes (F40 suspension), full wheelcovers, light blue with white vinyl top,rocker moldings and bright window moldings (no side center bodyline moldings ),also blue color keyed seatbelts ( not sure if that was optional or standard in 72, I think base would have had black belts ?).
some rust, and undergoing a slow restoration - build date was 3rd week June (71), iirc ( don't have the tag right here ) =and the Vin is 1X27F2W100005 making it the fifth 72 built at Willow Run.
any thoughts ?

~ AL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE: First I found that in 1972 Chevy produced 349,733 Nova's acoording to numerous websites. My Nova is 349,746 which would put it 13 over known production which is odd.

I was able to locate the original owner who had the car until last year. He told me that the Nova is a GM Promotional car. He didn't remember what the promotion was for but he knew that the dealerships had to qualify to recieve a car. He told me that his was from the Rushville, IN. dealership and that he knew there was one car that went to Richmond, IN. dealership but he didn't know how many cars were produced. These cars came from the factory painted and striped like the one pictured in a prior thread.

Now the big question. What kind of value would this car have if restored to original condition?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Most promotional cars are built early in the production run. Doesn't make sence to build the promotional car after the others are already on the lot. It may have been a custom order made at the end of the production run that the origional buyer never bought or something around that. Also If I'm not mistaken GM did not always start with 1 as the first production vehicle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts