Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone,
I have a 1972 SS, I replaced the stock headlamps with halogen lamps, they don't light up. Brand new, one side lit when I installed it, the other side didn't when I had both installed, now neither lights. I tried stomping the dimmer switch, no joy. The owner's manual says that the headlamp breaker is in the switch. Anything I'm missing here?

Also, I've installed LED bulbs for the blinkers/stoplights. If I install the rear LEDs, the blinker only works on the drivers side, the lights work all the way 'round. I've got LEDs in the side marker lights as well, blinks on the same side. I have a grounded LED blinker relay installed. Help?

Thanks in advance,
'karma

·
Registered
214 Posts
light problems

Hi did you change all the bulbs at once? Did you try putting the old headlights and bulbs in to see if they work then? I know it's a pain in the ass. Do you have the correct bulbs in the sockets? I don't know your knowledge of cars so please don't be offended It would be the easiest without spending any more money. You should do one thing 1st check the grounds. I haven't seen it in years but I remember when Halogen headlights 1st came out a lot of the older cars had problems. The lights would stop working or the would flash. I just reread your post...where did you hook the LED flasher to? Again Grounds or wired maybe wired incorrectly

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
Since we really don't know what's causing your problems, I don't want to guess without being there to run some tests. That said, whenever I upgrade headlights in a vehicle, I always take it as an opportunity to install new wiring with a new relay. The wiring is very easy... this site has a very straight-forward diagram on how to do it:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html
And, if you take time to read the whole article, it has some really good advice and tips on lighting in general.

You can pick up a relay (or two, depending on how OCD you are...) from suppliers like Rallylights.com ( https://www.rallylights.com/hella-hl87106-mini-relay-12v-30a-spst-with-bracket.html ).

I can't promise that this will cure your problems, but it would certainly be a step in the right direction. :yes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. After I posted this, I found that I need relays for the halogen headlamps. I have ordered them and will report back when installed. I have replaced all of the side marker lamps with LEDs and they work fine. I replaced what I thought was the signal relay but turns out it's the 4 way flasher relay (on the fuse panel). I'll put the relay in the correct place tomorrow. I have put all of the stock bulbs back into the turn signals and they work. I have a problem with fitment of the 1157 LED bulbs in the front turn signals. I can't get them to go in. I've 3 different sets of them including the (reocommended somewhere) Phillips bulbs. The rear lamps are no problem, fitment wise. I got one of the Phillips bulbs to fit in the drivers turn signal housing but can't get the other to save my life.

I'm happy to have a Nova again, my first car was a 1968 2 door with the 231 cid six cylinder.
Cheers!
'karma

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have installed the relays for the headlights, problem solved. I put the flasher unit in the correct place (not the fuse block) and I have 2 of 4 LED blinkers. I did not install LEDs in the front turn signals because of the aforementioned fitment issues with 1157 LED bulbs. Progress is being made!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts