Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of routing my 1/0 negative and positive battery cables and ran into a snag. In the factory wiring harness, it calls out for a fusible link between the (+) side of the battery going to the junction block on the radiator support.

Do they consider a "fusible link as a piece of 12 gauge (or bigger) wire that connects the (+) side of the battery to that side of the wiring harness?

OR...

Do I need an in-line fuse that connects between the (+) side to the junction block of the radiator support?

Dan

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not the most savy electrician but, I've known to run some wires and I do have some questions to ask about this...

With the fuseable link, wouldn't a 20 amp in-line fuse do the same thing?
*the 20 amp fuse was just for reference*

Will the in-line fuse perform in the same way as the fuseable link strand of wire?

And if so, what size in-line fuse should I get?

My thought process is that replacing an in-line fuse would be alot easier than replacing a small section of wire. If I'm wrong on this logic, please let me know..

Thanks

Dan

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
The fusable link is a "slow burn". A fuse will snap quickly. Go to your favorite McAutoparts and get fusable link wire and solder the terminals and you will be on your way. I don't remember the length or gauge wire.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The rule of thumb for fusible links is two gauge sizes smaller and no more than 6” long. If you run a 10 gauge wire to your junction it should be protected with a 14 gauge fusible link. If you run an 8 gauge it would be protected by a 12 gauge fuse link.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts