Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, so I took the instrument panel off to replace some lights and clean it up and to lubricate the speedometer cable and I found a folded up Body Broadcast Copy attached to the back of it. Can anyone tell me or give me a link on how to decipher all these codes? Thanks in advance,

Jim
Johnson City TN

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Well!!! That is awesome, don't see one of those very often!!

I'll have to print it right side up, and then go box by box....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I found out it was definitely 350, posi, 4 speed. Dad helped me with the body type S being Sedan. I really hope this thing tells me I have an SS. One of the previous owners said it was 1 of around 1400 with the F41 package n 71. Hoping I can find some proof of that as well. It has both anti-sway bars.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I forgot about this one...

So, this sheet is from the Fisher Body plant for Body Sequence number 058346 and VIN #153868. This sheet will not call out all of the RPO's (like Z26 for SS) because that would be on the Build Sheet. However, there are certain body modification that need to be made in order to accommodate Z26, like the holes pierced in the rear panel, dual exhaust plate on frame rail etc... These items are obviously not unique to Z26, but help support the case.

I'll decipher what I can:

Prod Date: is January 6th, should correlate to your BLD code on your Trim Tag

Sequence: this is typically the frame sequence number, and is usually written in white grease pencil on the engine cradle part of the frame. This is so that the right subframe was mated to the right car body to match the option for that VIN - things like disc brakes, power steering, etc...

Type: S for sedan, I believe that really indicates 2 door vs 4 door since there were no 'hardtop' Novas from '68+

Model: 11427, I think this is generic because all of the Nova Trim Tags start out with 11427 regardless of engine type

Body Color: 67 is Classic Copper

Trans: I'm assuming this indicates a 4 speed with Floor Shift??

Seat: Looks like an 'A' there, but not sure - the RPO code for buckets is A51 and bench is A52, so this 'A' is inconclusive

Engine RPO: this is interesting that it's just one letter, not exactly sure what that means since the engine designation within the VIN syntax didn't start until 1972, of which 'K' did indicate the SS only engine option

Brakes: D likely means disc

Pos Axle: likely indicates a posi diff

Boxes 15-17: too difficult to read the codes

Box 22: unsure what that # means, nor have I seen anything ever labeled as 'low volume options', that's a new one!

Box 24: engine harness code, so the line worker knew which harness for the option group on that body

Box 27: Glove box lamp, this option could be part of a group (ZJ3 Interior Convenience Group) or a stand alone option

Box 30: Cluster code, important for auto vs manual shift cars because of the gear selector portion. Apparently this car is without a clock or gauges

Box 36: Interesting in that it has dots but then...

Box 38: 55 typically indicates RPO D55 which is floor console

Box 49: Rear shock, this code is usually on the shock decal

Box 53: This code is usually on a decal wrapped around the m/c bail wire or its the code on the tag affixed to the brake booster check valve

Boxes 56-60: steering wheel items, column is important if the car is a floor shift because there won't be a nub for a lever

Box 63: Speedo cable code, this is usually inked onto the cable casing itself - cable are unique between auto and manual shift cars because they exit the firewall in different locations since they go into opposite sides of the tail housings

Radio: unsure

Box 83: Air cleaner, unique for certain engines that received a stove pipe or not

Box 86: Battery, the R89 is quite common

Box 91: Most likely the hubcap type, notice that Box 89 is not marked so no trim rings on this car - not sure what type of wheels the SS cars received

Box 93: Front light harness, unique if the car has AC or not

Box 100: Unsure if the reference to fender piercing relates to the engine call outs above the marker light, or for body side molding - the fenders are pierced while the doors and quarters have welded on studs

Box 101: Unknown

Box 107: Stripe color of white is usually the pin stripe option, which is typically not included on cars with body side molding so the Box 100 might be the engine call outs

Box 110-111: Unknown

Remaining boxes are self explanatory....

Neat sheet, hope this helps a little - it would be quite helpful if you could post your Trim Tag info to see how well this interpretation lines up.

·
13,711 Posts
Thanks! I found out it was definitely 350, posi, 4 speed. Dad helped me with the body type S being Sedan. I really hope this thing tells me I have an SS. One of the previous owners said it was 1 of around 1400 with the F41 package n 71. Hoping I can find some proof of that as well. It has both anti-sway bars.
If you've determined your '71 Nova was definitely a factory 4 speed, it would have to be an SS. In 1971, the 4 speed was only available on the Super Sport.

Bob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot about this one...

So, this sheet is from the Fisher Body plant for Body Sequence number 058346 and VIN #153868. This sheet will not call out all of the RPO's (like Z26 for SS) because that would be on the Build Sheet. However, there are certain body modification that need to be made in order to accommodate Z26, like the holes pierced in the rear panel, dual exhaust plate on frame rail etc... These items are obviously not unique to Z26, but help support the case.

I'll decipher what I can:

Prod Date: is January 6th, should correlate to your BLD code on your Trim Tag

Sequence: this is typically the frame sequence number, and is usually written in white grease pencil on the engine cradle part of the frame. This is so that the right subframe was mated to the right car body to match the option for that VIN - things like disc brakes, power steering, etc...

Type: S for sedan, I believe that really indicates 2 door vs 4 door since there were no 'hardtop' Novas from '68+

Model: 11427, I think this is generic because all of the Nova Trim Tags start out with 11427 regardless of engine type

Body Color: 67 is Classic Copper

Trans: I'm assuming this indicates a 4 speed with Floor Shift??

Seat: Looks like an 'A' there, but not sure - the RPO code for buckets is A51 and bench is A52, so this 'A' is inconclusive

Engine RPO: this is interesting that it's just one letter, not exactly sure what that means since the engine designation within the VIN syntax didn't start until 1972, of which 'K' did indicate the SS only engine option

Brakes: D likely means disc

Pos Axle: likely indicates a posi diff

Boxes 15-17: too difficult to read the codes

Box 22: unsure what that # means, nor have I seen anything ever labeled as 'low volume options', that's a new one!

Box 24: engine harness code, so the line worker knew which harness for the option group on that body

Box 27: Glove box lamp, this option could be part of a group (ZJ3 Interior Convenience Group) or a stand alone option

Box 30: Cluster code, important for auto vs manual shift cars because of the gear selector portion. Apparently this car is without a clock or gauges

Box 36: Interesting in that it has dots but then...

Box 38: 55 typically indicates RPO D55 which is floor console

Box 49: Rear shock, this code is usually on the shock decal

Box 53: This code is usually on a decal wrapped around the m/c bail wire or its the code on the tag affixed to the brake booster check valve

Boxes 56-60: steering wheel items, column is important if the car is a floor shift because there won't be a nub for a lever

Box 63: Speedo cable code, this is usually inked onto the cable casing itself - cable are unique between auto and manual shift cars because they exit the firewall in different locations since they go into opposite sides of the tail housings

Radio: unsure

Box 83: Air cleaner, unique for certain engines that received a stove pipe or not

Box 86: Battery, the R89 is quite common

Box 91: Most likely the hubcap type, notice that Box 89 is not marked so no trim rings on this car - not sure what type of wheels the SS cars received

Box 93: Front light harness, unique if the car has AC or not

Box 100: Unsure if the reference to fender piercing relates to the engine call outs above the marker light, or for body side molding - the fenders are pierced while the doors and quarters have welded on studs

Box 101: Unknown

Box 107: Stripe color of white is usually the pin stripe option, which is typically not included on cars with body side molding so the Box 100 might be the engine call outs

Box 110-111: Unknown

Remaining boxes are self explanatory....

Neat sheet, hope this helps a little - it would be quite helpful if you could post your Trim Tag info to see how well this interpretation lines up.

This is great. Thanks. My hands were shaking when I found it. I'll see about the trim tag. I ordered an emission and tire pressure decal for it today. I know there's not a huge dollar amount difference in knowing it's an SS. I'm just glad it is.

Boxes 15 and 16 are
SPCL BODY
INT EXT
J S
Box 17 is
SPC'L
CHASSIS
S

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Thanks, interesting codes for those boxes.

If it's an F41 car, just look up above the cross flow muffler location for the floor braces - that'll solve that one pretty easy. If it is an F41 car, then the odds are good that its an SS because the F41 was only available on SS cars - at least in '70....

Does the car have the dual exhaust frame plate in the driver's side rear wheel well?

Do you know what dealer it was sold new from, and if not did you consider doing the NCRS dealer search? Its well worth the $50!!

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts
This is just a guess, but I'd say that "K" was the final character in the engine ID code. In '71, 270 hp 350 Novas with manual transmissions had engine code "CGK" or "CJG" while the same engine with a Turbo 350 trans had engine code "CGL". A "CGK" coded engine would only be available in a Nova SS. 350/245 cars with PowerGlides were coded "CGB" - Not proof, but it just seems logical.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, interesting codes for those boxes.

If it's an F41 car, just look up above the cross flow muffler location for the floor braces - that'll solve that one pretty easy. If it is an F41 car, then the odds are good that its an SS because the F41 was only available on SS cars - at least in '70....

Does the car have the dual exhaust frame plate in the driver's side rear wheel well?

Do you know what dealer it was sold new from, and if not did you consider doing the NCRS dealer search? Its well worth the $50!!
I'll have to look for the the frame plate. The cross flow muffler location? Is that where the H pipe is? Not sure where to look for that.

This morning I found a video of the car on YouTube. This is the guy who restored the car. I sent him a message there and then found him on Facebook and sent him a request. I'm hoping I can ask him some questions (especially where it was bought). I was told it was a CA car, but the guy I just bought it from was a little full of sh&t, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'll have to look for the the frame plate. The cross flow muffler location? Is that where the H pipe is? Not sure where to look for that.

This morning I found a video of the car on YouTube. This is the guy who restored the car. I sent him a message there and then found him on Facebook and sent him a request. I'm hoping I can ask him some questions (especially where it was bought). I was told it was a CA car, but the guy I just bought it from was a little full of sh&t, in my opinion.
No, the cross flow muffler was the stock style and was a 2 In 2 Out version for the SS cars, it was located sideways and vertical in front of the gas tank but behind the rear axle. These are the plates you are looking for, where the vertical hanger bars are attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, the cross flow muffler was the stock style and was a 2 In 2 Out version for the SS cars, it was located sideways and vertical in front of the gas tank but behind the rear axle. These are the plates you are looking for, where the vertical hanger bars are attached.
Thanks! I'll look tonight

1 - 20 of 21 Posts