Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered new visors, brackets, and bushings for my 1970 nova. I saw where other owners had problems with reproduction visors flopping down and sure enough mine were too loose also. I found on the internet others replaced the flat head screw with an allen head screw which allows more torque. I tried the allen head screws and it does work! Brent

·
Registered
192 Posts
I actually just finished doing mine 1 minute ago. Be careful when spreading the visor mount, you don't want to crack them. Use some emery cloth to clean the stud on the visor to get all the burs and old crap off of it. Spray a little WD-40 on to the stud, slide the plastic insert on about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way on lining up the slot for the screw. Spray more WD-40 on the plastic insert as well and tap the new mount on easy with a plastic/wooden screw driver handle. I would say hammer but you don't want to mar the new piece. Put the screw in and mount it. Also be sure to note how the old ones are facing when removing them.

I hope this help.

Kevin

·
Registered
910 Posts
I've been fighting this on mine for years. I finally just took them off. I need to redo my headliner so I may put them back on and try some suggestions like in this thread. I can't believe how hard it is to get these visors to do what should be the simplest thing on one of these old cars. I've probably done hours of reading on this topic and tried every suggestion plus a few of my own ideas. Hopefully I can put this one behind me lol.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
The metal shaft on the repop visors can run too small in diameter and cause this issue. It's a fraction of an inch, but it's enough. Also one supplier of the plastic sleeves makes them too big in diameter which appears to also cause this problem. We have had the best luck with the OER sleeves.

Cannot stress enough the warning about prying or banging on the brackets to get the visor in. They will break, stretch weird, crack, etc. We use body trim plastic spudgers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The metal shaft on the repop visors can run too small in diameter and cause this issue. It's a fraction of an inch, but it's enough. Also one supplier of the plastic sleeves makes them too big in diameter which appears to also cause this problem. We have had the best luck with the OER sleeves.

Cannot stress enough the warning about prying or banging on the brackets to get the visor in. They will break, stretch weird, crack, etc. We use body trim plastic spudgers.
I got mine from Classic Industries, the mounts and the insets. When I installed them they were tight, very tight and I had to clean the visor lug with emery cloth to remove any burrs and stickiness from electrical tape the PO had on there. When I installed the new bushing and mount I used some WD-40 to lube them up so they would slide easier. I did tap them slightly with a plastic screw driver handle.

SouthBays is correct what ever you do don't drive them on like your hitting a 10 penny nail because they WILL break. Take your time and go slow, if they are still to tight hit it with the emery cloth again. You will eventually get them on.

Good luck.

Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts