Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking of selling this project due to lack of time and other projects. The only thing is I do have a lot in to it I was planning on this being the car I kept but after talking with a few guys on this site they seem to think I was in the ball park mind you the high end of it. A suggestion was made to post it in this section to get a few more opinions on what it is worth in this market to see if it is even worth selling. So here it goes
1970 Nova SS 396/375 L78 w/TH400 shadow grey on black bucket seat deluxe interior this is a GM of Canada documented car all matching numbers I had started this car a few years back and a another project jumped in front of it so it went on the back burner lets start with what I have done.
Drive line I have completed the engine rebuild except for the original Holley carb witch I do have The transmission has also been rebuilt and comes with a new torque converter the original 12 bolt was disassembled the housing was sand blasted epoxy primed the pits were putty up it was re-primed and then 6 coats of feather fill needs final sand paint and assembly. The shell of the car was disassembled the glass and interior were removed, boxed and tagged the sub frame, rear leaf springs wiring etc was also removed to see what I was starting with. The front of the car seems very solid without sandblasting I see 1 hole ½ the size of a dime I have replaced the original fenders and hood with southern pieces the fenders were chemically stripped and epoxy primed one has a small hole at the heal to repair. The back of the car has a lot more scale to the rust so I can only assume and I have collected parts for the worst case scenario it for sure will need ¼ s outer wheel wells and possibly inners and a rear tail panel 2 NOS ¼ and 1 NOS tail panel come with the car. So this car is about 30% of its way through the restoration I have a ton of part NOS and restored that will go with the car what will need to be done to finish this car interior body work, sub frame/suspension finish the 12 bolt and assembly there are no longer any dated parts to locate except for rims. Thanks for whatever input you can give and some more info to figure in when contemplating the value I realize with out a list of parts that it is difficult or knowing what the car came with motor only the block was original top end was replaced with oval port stuff and headers for the exhaust everything else I had to acquire hood and fenders were not worth repairing rad support is salvageable I am in the process of making a list of what go’s with it so far with chemical stripping correct plating body material for restored parts there is over $3000.00 I have over $11000.00 in the motor and trans plus what I paid for the car so I believe I am well over 30k I realize this is a lot for a car that can’t be driven but if you take into account the parts and what is already done and would have to be done for any restoration mind you I did go for the best of everything because this was going to be my keeper and that all the motor parts I was fighting the LS6 boys for the same parts and there cars are worth twice the money when finished also these numbers do not include any labour the price of doing things right the first time isn’t cheap. I can't seem to paste the Doc from gm Thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Mike,
Make plans to keep the car. You would be fortunate to find a buyer at $20,000 today. If it takes you a couple years to complete. The market for collector cars may rebound by then. When it is done. You will be glad you kept it. Earl

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
70 L78

Thanks for the reply Earl. I have been trying to think how to lower the price without taking a loss, I would keep it first and what poped into my head would be to sell the car with the restored driveline plus original unrestored parts and give the buyer the 1 chance to buy any of the NOS parts but even at that I am @ 26k. completeing over the next 2 years is a distant dream I might get to start it in 2 years for now I guess I will just get to play with the motor on the test stand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts