Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks as though I will have to go with after market on these. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or is it all pretty much just "take your chances"?

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
511 Posts
Scour craigslist for the parts. I have seen original 70-72 grilles listed for $50-$100. If you decide on aftermarket, i have a gently used grille i’d sell.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually have a pretty decent grille but it does not appear to be an SS grille & I can not tell any real specific difference other than the black paint on the SS one. Can you tell me what parts of the grille are painted on the SS version?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I gotta say that is the first time that I have ever been told to stay away from NOS. Other than for some of the exhobrant pricing that usually goes with NOS stuff. But I was getting my parts together for my '70SS & including a brand new NOS bowtie hood emblem, still in the GM box & the paint on it looks like a drunk did it. I got it new at a local Chevy dealer in 1990, shortly after I bought the car. Can't figure why I evidently did not open the box & look at it while I was still at the counter.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We've had very good luck with the repro grills, and parking light assy's. I would buy a repro grill over an NOS one in a heartbeat!! Stay away from NOS, they fit ok, but the finish is terrible - I sold my NOS grill and put a repro on my Yenko

Here's a nice one for sale....

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/d/sellersville-chevrolet-nova-grill/6996177386.html
Just wondering if your Yenko is a #50 code Gobi Beige? My '70 El Camino is a #50 code car. Looks nearly identical. And I have been going through the '70 colors trying to decide what color I want to paint this car. No Butternut Yellow listed so............

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I know its a little unusual saying 'no' to NOS parts, but NOS grills def came from worn out tooling and look really bad. Also, you couldn't give me NOS fenders, they fit so bad its unspeakable! We put AMD fenders on my son's rally green '69 SS, and they fit very well right out of the box - I moved the front end forward a bit to accommodate the hood gauge lines, otherwise the gaps at the door would be tighter....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Just wondering if your Yenko is a #50 code Gobi Beige? My '70 El Camino is a #50 code car. Looks nearly identical. And I have been going through the '70 colors trying to decide what color I want to paint this car. No Butternut Yellow listed so............
Yep, paint code 50 for Gobi Beige. I bought it sight unseen, and had to call the seller back to ask what color it was - I cared that little! Once I saw it, I realized that it's not the most flattering color and fully intended on painting it code 28 Fathom Blue which was a more popular Yenko Deuce color. But, the original Gobi Beige color grew on me over the 5 years of restoring it, and now I really like it - still like other colors, but the unusual colors really stand out at car shows now. I painted this car myself in PPG base/clear after getting it computer color matched from a section I cut out from under the deck lid - it had never seen the sun. In florescent lighting, the base/clear doesn't match the original very well, but in direct sunlight its dead on! I tend to take pics of other Gobi Novas....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought the '70 El Camino out of Vegas in 1990 & kind of figured that I would change colors on it too. The heat there had really flattened the color out & the color really grew on me. Part of the reason was that it is so close to the Butternut Yellow that my '68 Camaro was back in the day. Interestingly enough, the '70 Nova SS that I am doing was a #28 code Fathom Blue car. I was not too crazy about the color because it seems like every other one that I see is that color. When I saw that the shop had stripped the door jambs I thought "this is the chance to change colors". So I bounced between black, Cortez Silver & the blue while kicking it around for a couple of weeks. Then I started to notice some of the newer blues & finally settled on one called Electric Storm Blue. Very close to the Fathom Blue but a touch lighter & brighter.

BTW - Love the pics!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts