Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am going to start this thread as I am just starting a restoration on my 1970 I bought Sunday 12/16/18

12/19/18
1st question, I pulled the interior out and need to know where the seat belt mounts.

2nd question, look at the pic of the ceiling. the car was wet, should I just hit it with a wire wheel and paint with POR 15?

3rd question, more of a share. My boys are helping me and they found a sign used for the floor.

4th question, look at the diamond shaped holes in the back behind the seat. Any reason to patch those back? covered by the seat.

A little more than a question of the day, but I hope this keeps going along with the build.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
it looks like fun times with the kids helping you out. the american pickers will buy that sign or now its garage wall art.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great to have the boys helping.... BUT.. safety glasses w/side shields, for those young beautiful eyes, when using air tools. Trust an old man on this one.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Great to have the boys helping.... BUT.. safety glasses w/side shields, for those young beautiful eyes, when using air tools. Trust an old man on this one.
Good observation; good advice. I'm sure there are lots of "I never thought that would happen" stories out there!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Understood. Will do better. always where them with spinning tools. but will step up with the hammer tools.

thanks

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Def keep the boys involved! We have great memories with my two boys working on Benjamin's '69 Nova, and soon Danny's '67 Camaro.

#1: You'll see the holes in the floor tunnel and out by the rocker for front seat belts, and the rear belts bolt similarly - right where the floor starts to rise up. You can see the locations better if you look underneath, you'll see the large oval anchor points.

#2: I'd leave the ceiling alone. That fuzzy stuff is just some factory sound deadner, any moisture is typically condensation. So, let it dry out and brush it with a plastic bristle brush to knock off any loose pieces and reinstall the headlliner when you are ready. One thing I noticed is that the rods for the headliner are not there - do you have them, and if so did you mark which rod goes where (front to back location) and in which hole (side location?). If not, the headliner install just got a little bit harder...

#3: Love the used sign, must have been a popular thing to do back in the day before repro floor panels became available, we've seen that several times over the years. Def save it and hang it on the wall.

#4: Interesting holes, some precise edges and some hacked edges. The ones in the rear seat back are not critical, the rear seat divider will cover them - still visible from the trunk though. The secondary holes look to go through the floor where the cross flow muffler was originally installed. Those are more critical and should be patched. These cars always run a little rich, the exhaust systems always leak, and the fumes will not be pleasant - even if running Cam2 with grape or cherry flavor!

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fuzzy stuff on the ceiling, your looking at sheet metal, all material is removed.

Rods, I have them, I did not mark them, I did not check the holes. In my defense. I am sure they were not correct starting out, so may be a challenge.

Holes, I am going to patch all floor holes, looking to get new floor pieces. Any recommendation on the best place for the money? I plan to use Classic Parts of America as they did good fro my truck. not sure if the hole would be for roll cage, there is no telling with this car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
12/20/18
I did not work on it last night, but I have been looking for parts. Where is the best place to get floors? I just need the front and back, not the sides, hump or fire wall.

·
Registered
866 Posts
12/20/18
I did not work on it last night, but I have been looking for parts. Where is the best place to get floors? I just need the front and back, not the sides, hump or fire wall.

Auto Metal Direct. Best quality metal out there.

One thing on cleaning the roof and -well the entire car: Asbestos was common in insulation materials in 1970. Protect yourself and kids accordingly. I would use a garden sprayer and keep the roof damp while you scrape/wire brush it.
Asbestos is safe once it is encapsulated (sealed) but is when it is airborne it becomes a problem.
Keep that in mind when blowing out areas you have worked on.
This is one of the reasons why I stripped out my 70 to a bare shell and power washed the beejeesus out of it.
Twice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Auto Metal Direct. Best quality metal out there.

One thing on cleaning the roof and -well the entire car: Asbestos was common in insulation materials in 1970. Protect yourself and kids accordingly. I would use a garden sprayer and keep the roof damp while you scrape/wire brush it.
Asbestos is safe once it is encapsulated (sealed) but is when it is airborne it becomes a problem.
Keep that in mind when blowing out areas you have worked on.
This is one of the reasons why I stripped out my 70 to a bare shell and power washed the beejeesus out of it.
Twice.
Thanks for the advice, never thought about that.

·
6,497 Posts
While the below are pictures from my 74, it too had some type of cardboard based material on the underside of the roof skin. Most of it got shaved off with a putty knife and I then came back with a wire wheel to get down to the bare metal so I could prime it and paint it.

On mine, the left to right inner support beam was bent and I ended up drilling out the spot welds to remove it, then straighten it, add in some additional bracing, then put it back into place and plug welded it back in using the drilled out spot weld holes:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157649723111507/with/16019964670/

Also in the above album,I used a hacksaw blade in my air powered stiletto saw to get the material off of the underside of the roof skin that was buried in a hard to access area.

On the rear seat belt locations, here they are in my 68:

I think on your car someone used the inner rear holes for exhaust hangers.

On the fronts, there should be two holes on the transmission tunnel and holes by the rocker sills. On the ones on the transmission tunnel,if you look under the car, there should be oval shaped reinforcing plates spot welded to the floor that are punched out with threaded holes that the seat belt bolt threads into.

Jim

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This helps a lot, I am going to get out there tonight and look around.

What is that raised tab between the rear seat belts?

Look at this pic. I am thinking there is a plate welded over the seat belt mount. No idea why. I am going to dig into this tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Joe, my replacement floors are GoodMark. $93 per side. They fit like a glove.
Shop vendors for the best shipping. I'd buy only from someone that understands these things are able to ship UPS and don't require more expensive truck freight.
I used Coast to Coast International in Tampa.

·
6,497 Posts
This helps a lot, I am going to get out there tonight and look around.

What is that raised tab between the rear seat belts?

Look at this pic. I am thinking there is a plate welded over the seat belt mount. No idea why. I am going to dig into this tonight.
The raised tabs are for the screws that hold in the back part of the rear seat after it is dropped down onto the hooks by the package shelf. There are also bent down ears that go through another spot of the rear seat back structure to hold it it place also.

Maybe scroll through this album and see if it helps:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157652006397322

I'm thinking someone did put new metal over the front outside seat belt holes. You will just have to investigate it some more.

Jim

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The raised tabs are for the screws that hold in the back part of the rear seat after it is dropped down onto the hooks by the package shelf. There are also bent down ears that go through another spot of the rear seat back structure to hold it it place also.

Maybe scroll through this album and see if it helps:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157652006397322

I'm thinking someone did put new metal over the front outside seat belt holes. You will just have to investigate it some more.

Jim
I like it. THANKS

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
12/21/18
So I determined the previous owner made a failed attempt at a roll cage install, hence the holes in the back and the plates. The plates are over 2" square holes cut all the way through the rockers. The plates have been removed, now I need to get some sheet metal to patch the holes.

I found the seat belt holes. Any idea what tap to use to re-establish the threads?

Now I need to know how the seats are mounted. There are a couple holes that go through the floor. Looks like 4 holes for the seats and 1 or 2 others. How did the seats mount? bolt and nut? or bolts threaded to the floor. Could not find any threaded holes. what and where should I be looking for?

Can you tell I know nothing about novas?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts