Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 Nova SS 396 L-78 ,engine block # 3955272 / 373 Rear end # BU0415C2 , and has a 1969 746 red interior , block#'s match vin. I have had the car for 7 years and the previous owner had it for 21 years. Car is tuxedo black. My question is can these 1969 components be factory as it appears to be. Engine was installed February 15, 1970. Thanks

·
13,958 Posts
I have a 1970 Nova SS 396 L-78 ,engine block # 3955272 / 373 Rear end # BU0415C2 , and has a 1969 746 red interior , block#'s match vin. I have had the car for 7 years and the previous owner had it for 21 years. Car is tuxedo black. My question is can these 1969 components be factory as it appears to be. Engine was installed February 15, 1970. Thanks
First of all, welcome to the site. Interesting situation you have here. According to Chevy By The Numbers, the 395272 block is a 396 used from September, 1968 until June, 1969. What does the cowl tag say the body build date of this car is? Also, what are the paint and interior trim codes? Tuxedo black was code 10 in '69 and code 19 in '70. I'm confused by your comment that the engine was installed on February 15, 1970. What is the source of this information? Does the VIN specifically identify your car as a 1970? Sorry for all the questions, but need this info to try and solve your dilemma. I owned a GM Canada documented 1970 L78 Nova SS.

Bob

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,837 Posts
Also, you may find more info about your questions by:

Looking at the bottom of this page (or any page) ... at the "Similar Threads" section --- could be that question has been asked before.
just FYI
Then there is ' NovaResource.org ' --- lots of info there.

and, WELCOME to SNS

:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all, welcome to the site. Interesting situation you have here. According to Chevy By The Numbers, the 395272 block is a 396 used from September, 1968 until June, 1969. What does the cowl tag say the body build date of this car is? Also, what are the paint and interior trim codes? Tuxedo black was code 10 in '69 and code 19 in '70. I'm confused by your comment that the engine was installed on February 15, 1970. What is the source of this information? Does the VIN specifically identify your car as a 1970? Sorry for all the questions, but need this info to try and solve your dilemma. I owned a GM Canada documented 1970 L78 Nova SS.

Bob
Thanks Bob, I'm new at this so try to bear with me, Cowl tag build date 1970, paint # is 19 which is tuxedo black, the interior is 746 which is sandstone buckets but the car has red bucket interior which is 746 in 1969 interiors and I'm wondering if someone special ordered this car as all appears to be factory installed. All of the components are 1969 in a 1970 car which makes me suspect that someone ordered in late 69 or early 70 as the engine front stamp is February 70 / TO215CKO I appreciate all your help I'm just trying to find out ig it is original. Cowl paint # is 19 which is tuxedo black thanks

·
13,958 Posts
Wow, this is getting really interesting. Remember, 1970 models would have been built starting in late August or early September, 1969, so a February engine date is mid year. The body build date should be on the cowl tag and be 09A or the like. There was also a manufacturing date sticker on the rear of the drivers side door. These frequently disappear over the years, so it may not be there. It's not unheard of for very early build cars to get some of the previous years left over components. Can you tie down the build date a little closer?

Bob

·
Registered
382 Posts
With the information you have given, without actually personally checking out the car, In my opinion I think someone installed 69 components in a 70 body.
They re-stamped the motor with a 70 code. Your engine is a 69 casting and the reared is April 15 ,1969.
My car is a September 69 build and it has all 70 components.
You might check the color of the head liner as they may not have changed that item.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, this is getting really interesting. Remember, 1970 models would have been built starting in late August or early September, 1969, so a February engine date is mid year. The body build date should be on the cowl tag and be 09A or the like. There was also a manufacturing date sticker on the rear of the drivers side door. These frequently disappear over the years, so it may not be there. It's not unheard of for very early build cars to get some of the previous years left over components. Can you tie down the build date a little closer?

Bob[ the cowl tag # is 03A for march 70 first week and the interior is all red headliner to carpet 43,500 miles on car appear to be original as car shows minimal wear on underside ,trunk and suspension. I don't know why someone would gut a car and put in older components but I'm open to all suggestions as this would change the value of the car, which is also what I'm trying to determine. Thanks

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I would agree that this sounds like an interior swap. I think black with sandalwood interior is one of the classiest combinations out there, but if I had the chance to swap it with an original red gut from a '69....hold my beer, let's get it done son!!!

·
13,958 Posts
Yeah, I kept thinking the interior swap was the answer, and it still could be. What baffles me is we have a Nova built the first week of March, 1970, with an engine that appears to have been discontinued after June, 1969. The engine suffix code is the 1970 format dated February 15th. The rear end is 1969 code format and dated April 15th. The trim tag paint code is 1970 Code 19 black, but the interior is 1969 code 746 red (746 being Sandalwood in 1970). All kinds of possible scenarios. Pictures of the trim tag, VIN plate and engine casting date would be valuable, plus some history on the first 20+ years of it's life.

Bob

·
Registered
382 Posts
It could be that the whole car is a 69 and the trim plate and the vin plate got changed out. A picture of the trim plate might reveal incorrect rivets used and a picture of the block stamp might show incorrect numbers or letters.
Check tail light lenses as 69 & 70 are different, also 69's have amber park lights and 70's have clear. If you remove the heater box from the firewall you will find the real vin number stamped behind it. If it has the original muncie in it the vin number will be stamped on it and would be a 660 casting number for 69. If the car was stolen early on, the first thing thieves do is remove the trim tag and the vin plate. Just another idea to think about.

Ray

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,837 Posts
.......... " 43,500 miles on car appear to be original as car shows minimal wear on underside ,trunk and suspension. I don't know why someone would gut a car and put in older components but I'm open to all suggestions as this would change the value of the car, which is also what I'm trying to determine. Thanks"...........

My 69 IS way different ....... BUT ..........

My miles (basic 2nd owner, grandpa's Nova, bought New in Phoenix) .... were showing like 47 - 48,000 miles --- AND THIS Car was VERY "clean & solid" --- I even believed it too be original miles. Alot of parts are still there, ect .... AND, my car 'shows it -- that's how clean it was / is .
I knew the Family ( the "son & grandson" - who sold me the Nova).
Then, later .. I found receipts showing "smog-checks" @ 60,000 miles
(car has rolled over , and let me down (some).
Plus -- back in 69/70 time frame -- anything may/could have happened.
As an example : When I was in RVN -- a person could order a 'New Car' and pick it up several months later -- after that said person had gotten back State-side ...... alot of different things happening.
Just adding my 2cents .
Thanks, and good luck in your search .

·
13,958 Posts
It could be that the whole car is a 69 and the trim plate and the vin plate got changed out. A picture of the trim plate might reveal incorrect rivets used and a picture of the block stamp might show incorrect numbers or letters.
Check tail light lenses as 69 & 70 are different, also 69's have amber park lights and 70's have clear. If you remove the heater box from the firewall you will find the real vin number stamped behind it. If it has the original muncie in it the vin number will be stamped on it and would be a 660 casting number for 69. If the car was stolen early on, the first thing thieves do is remove the trim tag and the vin plate. Just another idea to think about.

Ray
If this car was actually built in March 1970, more than 50% of the away through the production year, there is no way it came with a '69 engine, rear end and interior. There are examples of early cars (like the first week of production in September) getting some leftover previous year parts. There are also examples of late build cars getting the odd part from the next year, but none of these scenarios would apply to a car built in March. I also suspect there is something going on with the stamped numbers.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts