Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been :sleep: for 25 years.

My first car was mom's 1970 250/TH350 Nova. We've always called it "puke-green". There's a hit country song which brings back fond memories of it, lately. I have a picture of my young self next to it and regret selling it although, Toyota pickups have always been good to me.

Around the corner, there was a fellow I used to see working on his 1970 Nova SS, 4 speed. I moved away around 1989. Some years later, I moved back home and was looking for a place to rent. One possibility was the house next to my former Nova SS acquaintance. Wouldn't you know it? The Nova was still there, now in his back yard, disassembled.

I didn't rent the house. But, I bought the Nova and have been dragging it around for 15 years without actually working on it. It's an original, numbers matching, 1970 Nova SS, 300 HP, Muncie M21 4 speed, floor-shift, bench seat, Chevy.

Reminder to self: This is important! Get busy before you're dead so, your son can remember you by it. And, share the adventure with the fine folks on Steve's Nova Site.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TTT
Time flew while I had too much fun: restored a boat and went tuna fishing in the Pacific. Meanwhile, the Nova sits in the garage crying for the attention I've refused to give it. Just realized I lurked on StevesNovaSite for 5 years, posted my dreams, then blew 'em off for 6 more years.

Year 7 will be different. I finally have everything collected together and plans in motion. Engine is being machined as I type. Then assembly. Then more assembly. I'll post pictures along the way. Know-how now, having blogged the entire boat restoration.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,490 Posts
Great to hear that you are back on track with your Nova build (y)
Looking forward to seeing future progress posts with photos!
Feel free to ask any questions that may come up during your journey.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,993 Posts
I had a 70 Chevelle with 300hp and a M22 4speed when I was in high school. I can promise you when you get your Nova together you are going to have a blast driving it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
TTT
Time flew while I had too much fun: restored a boat and went tuna fishing in the Pacific. Meanwhile, the Nova sits in the garage crying for the attention I've refused to give it. Just realized I lurked on StevesNovaSite for 5 years, posted my dreams, then blew 'em off for 6 more years.

Year 7 will be different. I finally have everything collected together and plans in motion. Engine is being machined as I type. Then assembly. Then more assembly. I'll post pictures along the way. Know-how now, having blogged the entire boat restoration.
Never too late buddy! Awesome that you kept the car and are getting into the restoration. Let us know how its going from time to time.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how deep you going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dads-Nova_Avatar.jpg

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never too late buddy! Awesome that you kept the car and are getting into the restoration. Let us know how its going from time to time.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how deep you going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going about that ^ deep and will make the photo my Avatar until it's back on four wheels.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In other threads before the site upgrade I posted about bucket seats and the brainstorm which came together for me when considering whether to make the original block a retro-roller. Rather, I've a solid plan now, literally:

While memorizing Chevy by the Numbers - Alan Colvin, it became apparent most of the number matching parts for my engine are the same as were used in the 1970 LT-1 350 by Don Yenko. The main difference is that his cars were bare bones chassis with no carpet, no console, no exterior trim, etc.

The engine will be a 355 (0.030): Factory forged crank, 11:1 dome pistons, Howard's solid lifter cam and full roller rockers, Performer RPM intake and an Edelbrock Performer RPM Q-Jet 795 cfm, which I still have from a project I gave up on years before the Jensen Interceptor was immortalized in Fast and Furious 6. Don't need too much help beating myself. My excuse: It was a NW rust bucket and there are nearly zero parts available.

The trim will be full: #58 Autumn Gold, SS stripes, carpet, buckets, center console w/ tach and guages, Premier headliner, SS door panels w/ wood grain, etc. I haven't decided whether to install only rocker moldings or also center-side moldings. The overall idea is a COPO sleeper, ie: fully optioned.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Me on the right about 1980, posing next to what would be my first car, and thus my life long obsession with the 1970 Nova.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rear differential disassembly:
Original Positraction? Yes! See the code #CBM0930G2-X. The books would all tell you 3.31:1 non-posi = CBM. But there's something unusual... Eaton wasn't the only factory to produce Positrac. Detroit did it directly. ie: G-2-X. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
#3862527 9 41 3 69
I've counted 9 pinion gears / 41 ring gears = 4.55:1. Purty low, when the book says 3.31:1 for a CBM rear end.
Perhaps parts have been replaced. But I doubt it. It looks original.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From Nasty Z28...
"41/9=4.56, so yes, it appears you have 4.56 gears installed in what was originally a 4.10 rear.
The 4.10 rear was an option on both the 1970 Z28 and the 1970 SS396/375. They could be ordered with M20, M21, M22, or TH400."

This could be... Prior Owner (PO) was a gear-head in the day. But the only evidence is a chrome diff cover. I doubt he dug in that deep.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He didn't and I've been disassembling the sub-frame and noted someone made the attempt to work on it historically. I must be careful here:
The PO lives locally and is still a Nova nut as far as I know. I'll call him HotRod.

HotRod did some ball joint replacements and the sub frame never quite got back together. I've lain the parts out and plan to sandblast and reassemble the lot with parts from Energy Suspension. While I'm at it, I've put in motion a plan for rear disc brakes: Firebird Central. Word is, the 1979-1981 Firebird had rear discs that might fit under my original 14 inch SS wheels. If that's incorrect, I'll install 15 inch SS wheels which were stock on the Malibu LS6. And the E-brake hardware should function. Wow! If there wasn't disinformation on the internet before, there is now. ('dis' means painful in the original Latin)

There's something missing in the attached photos and something that likely shouldn't be there. Trivia time and no worries, I've cures for both.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
what a journey you have had to date on your nova but it looks like you have it coming your way. i'll try the test, i don't see a sway bar.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sway bar... What's that?
I was thinking left brake caliper. But that call is right on! Don't know what happened to the sway bar and been shopping for an original.
Why? Don't have one and not sure why not. Should just upgrade and be done. HotRod misplaced a few parts, it seems.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spent the weekend sandblasting... and listening to Pink Floyd when the compressor was full... and hoping for deliveries from Amazon. Full replacement poly-rubber from Energy Suspension, sway bar notwithstanding. Then, there's the rear disc brake setup... call seller to clarify in the morning.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you haven't had the pleasure of sandblasting... well... pay someone to do it for you!

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not shown... a 220V #175 psi compressor. Don't try this with anything less. That Sears job from 1980... save it for airing the tires.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Great story! :)

Nice to hear that you are realizing a dream! :)

Now all of the research can be put into practice, the best of luck with your build! (y)(y)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Phosphoric acid... Glove up!
Just the springs and perches this time. The blast cabinet has more work to do.
What is the "right" chassis paint? Modern vs. original.
And pulling the original rubber rear end spring front shackle bushings?! My goodness, that's a fiasco!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts