Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my 70 nova leaf springs are tired and need replacing and not really sur what the car should really have. A little about the car. I’ve had 18” rims with 265s and they were fine when I started driving the car 3 years ago and now lately seams that there starting to rub on the inner wheel housing when I gas it with only me in it.
What I know now is that my car has 5 leafs in it now and the bottom shock plate has two eyelets for the bottom shock which tell me that there mono leaf spring plates
How can I find out what my car should really have??
Anyone have a measurement for the spring perch depth for mono and multi?
Any information would help as I cannot drive my car anymore until I figure this out

·
Registered
1972 Nova
376 Posts

This is off a 67 Camaro, but it shows a big difference. How much of the spring side is covered by your current perches? If the whole thing, you have a multi-leaf axle. If not much, you have a mono-leaf axle. Just remember that your axle could've been swapped out at some point, so that might not tell what you need. If you have mono-leaf perches, you can get a 3-leaf spring that will fit in them perfectly.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,846 Posts
'impulse' .... great pic ...... thanks for posting.

Jr's70 .... That's the best way to check between mono - multi springs.

my point --- is if you do change things ; also think about up-grading your rear axle mounting point by installing "full-rear U-Bolts" (on each side) , and dump those small T - Bolts. just a 'Heads - up'

... then ... look at the bottom of this page (or any page) for more info .... you may find an answer already :

look at : "Similar Threads"

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help, I believe by the looks
What I have is the multi leaf axle perch’s and the mono leaf bottom plate.
So I will order a set of new leafs, bottoms for multi and front leaf cups as I know they’ll be ceased
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,846 Posts
Well with that said ... You may want to start spraying some 'lube or WD-40 type of spray onto your bolts for the front & rear bolts 'a head of time' ---- well worth it.
sometimes those bolts -- haven't been out in along time -- 'ask most of us how we know (we have the broken bolts to show u ).
get the spray lube with the 'little red tube' - so you can get up into the front spring mount bolts ...... it works great !

again , I'm just saying ..... jim

·
Registered
1972 Nova
376 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts