Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, having some trouble here, I have a 1970 nova with a powerglide and a new (installed 2k miles ago) goodwrench 350. The powerglide is the original from when the car had a straight six 250. Anyways, I was driving home from the gym tonight and the car was running great, I pulled into my driveway and noticed my turn signals were not blinking, they were staying lit (this has happened before randomly). I went to turn my car back on to try to figure out what was up with the turn signals, and the car won't start. It sounds like it's about to turn over but won't. The car will also not allow me to shift out of park.

The powerglide has been having some issues slipping when shifting, but since I was going to swap out the PG for a Th350 in the next few weeks I wasn't concerned about it. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess Im just hoping I can get some reassurance that nothing is wrong with my engine. Is there any component of the transmission that will keep the engine from turning over if something is wrong? Could the trans just seize and keep the engine from starting? Maybe if the trans was overheating or something?

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,658 Posts
Just need to confirm what you mean by "It sounds like it's about to turn over but won't".

Does you engine crank normally, but it will just not fire and run when you turn your key to the start position?... or the engine will not even crank (nothing happens) when you turn your key to the start position?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I turn the key it begins to crank and then it is stopped from cranking. I'm almost wondering if it is an electrical problem, but that wouldn't explain why I can't shift the car out of park. The shift lever will not move at all.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I does sound like you are experiencing multiple issues.

You may have a weak/dying battery. Try this... turn your headlights on and go to your brights. While your headlights are on bright, hit your horn. Does it sound strong/loud?... or weak?
A week horn sound would indicate a low battery. It could be a bad battery or something is wrong with your charging system.

Sorry... no advise for the jammed shifter.

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
You appear to have both a mechanical and electrical problem.

Does your car have a neutral safety switch?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I would be looking really hard at the column. Blinkers don't work, car won't shift, doesn't really want to start???? Something under the wheel appears to be broken and jammed.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Since your starter does engage the engine and attempt to turn it over, I am thinking that your neutral safety switch is ok... unless it is beginning to go bad causing an intermittent break in the starter wiring circuit. To check for this, turn on your interior dome light and attempt to start the engine. If the light dims significantly (or goes completely out) while attempting to start, I think the neutral safety switch is ok. If the dome light does not dim at all while attempting to start your engine (but fails to crank), then the neutral safety switch is probably bad and needs to be replaced.

If your battery and neutral safety switch both check out ok...
You also mentioned that your transmission was slipping. It is possible that the fluid pump in your transmission may have seized up.
A seized trans fluid pump could prevent your engine from turning over as you described. It may also explain why your shifter is stuck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts