Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Here is what I know about my motor. I do not have all the details because this is the way I bought it.

383 STROKER 480 HP
DART IRON EAGLE HEADS
12.0:1 COMPRESSION
FULL ROLLER ROCKER CAM (CRANE)
750 HOLLEY DOUBLE PUMPER
ELECTRIC FAN
ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP
MSD 6AL
HOOKER SUPER COMP HEADERS

The car appears to have a stock radiator and water pump. It is running about 210-230 all the time. This seems too hot for me. I was thinking of switching to a high flow water pump, aluminum radiator, and maybe a bigger electric fan? I don't know the specs on the fan I have now. I don't just want to throw money at this problem but the overheating is driving me nuts. Any ideas what to check first?

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
do you have a fan shroud?Is it overheating sitting at a stop light or driving?bm

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fan has a small shroud built in to it. See the picture below of my setup. It gets hot sitting still, driving, pretty much all the time. It does not boil over or anything like that but it seems to hot for my comfort. The underhood temps got so hot my MSD box cut out on me yesterday at the track.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
just had this problem with my 454, the best and cheapest setup as long as your battery is in the trunk would be an aluminum griffin 31x19 rad with 1-1/4 duel tubes and an ls1 camaro duel fan with a impeller disk on your pump. sounds like you have too small rad and fan.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Griffin you are talking about, is that the 55272? How hard is this to mount? I see this model is a universal fit as opposed to the direct fit models.

The LS 1 fan - is that a factory fan I get from the dealer?

Impellor disk on pump. I am not sure what you are talking about here.

Sounds lke you have it figured out but I am so clueless on a lot of this. I used to to build motors and mess around with this type of stuff all the time about 15yrs ago. Just getting back into it.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
A high flow pump would be a good start. Make sure you drive it fast enough to get the flow you need at the speeds you are overheating.
Are those flexible corrugated metal hoses? I would think that this would be an impediment to your water flow compared to a smooth hose of the same diameter.
If you move your shroud/fan assembly over to the hot end of the radiator it will also increase the efficiency of the system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I am planning on ordering an Aluminum radiator but not sure which one to get. I measured mine and it is 27x18. If I can get the 31x19 it would seem that bigger is better but I am not sure if I will have any mounting issues. My battery is in the trunk so no problems there.

On another note my buddy came by earlier and looked at my car. He said that since my temp sending unit is in the head and not the intake that it will read higher than normal, so my overheating may not be as bad as I think it is. He said I should move the MSD to inside the car to keep it cool and not really worry about the temps.:confused:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Brass rad is definitely not efficient enough for your beast. And as 74 hatchback stated, you aren't drawing enough air across it to cool it effectively. Step up to the aluminum rad and those overheating issues will disappear.

Dan
As Dan mentioned, step up to a aluminum rad. Night and day ....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any recommendations on which particular aluminum radiator to get?

I see them from the be cool at $500 to jegs/summit for $199, and the griffin in the middle.

Don't want to spend more than I have to but also do not want to have to buy twice.

·
Registered
442 Posts
When all else fails, use STOCK equipment. I have the stock shroud and direct drive fan, I know it robs a little power but when it's 90 outside and in stop and go traffic I run at 165.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Might be a dumb question but is it (fan) turning the correct way?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
i read that the best aluminum rad is the 31x19griffin and i got it from summit for $269 you can mount it easy because novas use a craddle mount just rest the lower core on the rubber and put the top bracket back on. also the impeller disk is in jegs and maybe summit for around $6 and you have to install it by adding it to your pumps impeller and then use 2 gaskets on the back cover, the ls1 fan you can get off e-bay or the junk yard for around $100 and will cover a 26" core.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
When all else fails, use STOCK equipment. I have the stock shroud and direct drive fan, I know it robs a little power but when it's 90 outside and in stop and go traffic I run at 165.
While I agree that stock equipment is usually the best route, that is only applicable when you have a stock or near stock car. Since he has a 383, which are known to run a little hot, he'll probably need to step up from the OEM parts and go with the Aluminum Radiator, Fan, and a High Volume waterpump.

Here are a few tips:

Make sure your thermostat is functioning correctly. If it is, you can drill some very small holes in it to allow the coolant to pass before the temperature heats it up.

What is your timing set at? Too much advance will cause your engine to heat up substantially.

Is your carb running too lean?

Are you using underdrive pulleys? If so, switch back to the stock sized 6.5" waterpump and 8" crank pullies.

Just some things to think about. Of coarse, try the cheap/free methods first, but if all else fails one of these - or a combination, is probably the culprit. Since you and I live in very hot climates, these are things I've had to tackle too.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Temp probe is in the head. I checked and the fan is turning the right way. I can see how it would easily be hooked up backwards though.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
My Nova is all stock Radiator, shroud, fan it runs 190 in 95 degree heat, in traffic thats with a 454 headers 850 holley, chuck the electric fan, they donot pull enough air period get a stock shroud and fan you will have no more problems

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all of the replies. I installed a 31x19 aluminum radiator, and cut out part of the core support to let air get to all of the radiator. Driving around at speed it stays right at 180 now. In stop and go it will get up to 195. I am going to upgrade my fan to a dual 12" setup with shroud and then I should be 180 all the time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts