Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day that I do not have any brake lights. I checked the positive wire on the plug going to the brake light switch and I have 12 V. I checked the negative wire on the brake light switch and I have no ground. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to check this or where to check this? Or where that wire leads to from the brake light switch plug?

·
Registered
10,013 Posts
The brake lights are also the rear turn signals, so the power from the brake light switch goes through the turn signal mechanism. You may have a problem there. If your turn signals work then the bulbs are grounded properly, which happens right at the socket.
Looking at the left wiring diagram you can follow the white wire from the brake switch to the right wiring diagram to the directional signal switch connector. The individual brake/turn signal power comes out on the yellow and green wires adjacent the white wire.

http://www.novareference.com/manuals/Wiring/1970/70_Nova_wiring_left.jpg

http://www.novareference.com/manuals/Wiring/1970/70_Nova_wiring_right.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
no brake lights

1974 Nova base coupe. I reviewed the wiring diagrams and found the one posted to the site buy skyhawk very good.
My issue: I have a factory harness with ONLY one brown wire to the brake light switch. Brown is generally ground. I checked the switch found when I applied the brakes the switch went to ground.
the 4 way flasheres work, so I assume the wire from the Flasher relay to the rear brake light is good.
I loose it at the brake light switch. How does ground at the switch turn on the brake lights? Remember this switch (origonal) has only one brown lead.
Any help??????????
thanks

·
Registered
10,013 Posts
1974 Nova base coupe. I reviewed the wiring diagrams and found the one posted to the site buy skyhawk very good.
My issue: I have a factory harness with ONLY one brown wire to the brake light switch. Brown is generally ground. I checked the switch found when I applied the brakes the switch went to ground.
the 4 way flasheres work, so I assume the wire from the Flasher relay to the rear brake light is good.
I loose it at the brake light switch. How does ground at the switch turn on the brake lights? Remember this switch (origonal) has only one brown lead.
Any help??????????
thanks
According to the wiring diagram black is the ground, brown is the lamp, and yellow or green are the left and right signals.
The stop light switch should have an orange and a white wire on it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The brake switch grounds through the brake pedal assembly. Do you have power to the switch? The orange wire should have voltage Check it with the wire disconnected. You can jump the connector and see if the lights work Let us know what you find

·
Registered
419 Posts
The brake light switch is either open or closed. Orange in, white out. The ground is at the bulb sockets. Are your dash lights working? Generally GM integrated the printed circuit to alert of a burned out brake light fuse by also tying in the dash lights. Socket corrosion, incorrect bulbs in the stop/taillight sockets could also cause your problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts