Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where would you put the lift arms to lift a 1970 Nova two door coupe using a 2 post car lift?
Also where would the balance point be in relation to the center of the car?
Thanks

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,028 Posts
Well... I can tell you where I put mine.
Front lifting point is on the front subframe, as far forward as you can go, but where the frame is still flat, before the frame starts to bend up.
Rears. I put mine on the leaf spring, as the second spring as they are stacked ( multileaf springs) . I do this because I don't want the weight of the rear end on the shocks fully extended. I currently have my car on the lift for an extended time. If not I would put the rear on the front shackle/ bushing where it mounts, for a quick oil change perhaps.
Whenever I lift a vehicle I left I off the ground about 6"-1 ft and then shake it up and down from a corner to make sure it ain't going anywhere....sofar so good!
GL

·
Registered
711 Posts
This is the points I used and was rock solid, with and without the motor and trans

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use the same points to lift my Nova and I put the rear of the car further back to help balance it, off setting it to allow for the engine weight. I also rock the front and rear to make sure it is solid. My problem is when I open the drivers side front door, it sticks. It will open but it isn't square with the body. I'm concerned that it will cause the frame to twist.
I my not be putting the car right at the center balance point?
Do have the same problem?
Thanks for your reply and picture.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,028 Posts
Ramportin1 pic shows the rear mounted on the frame. I mount mine directly outboard of where his is on the leaf spring. I neglected to add to my earlier post that I have 4" shackle lift, which, combined with lifting on the frame would make the shocks bottom out and support the weight of the axle, resulting in premature failure. Main point is to figure out what is best for you. I put my fronts exactly where his are.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ramportin1 pic shows the rear mounted on the frame. I mount mine directly outboard of where his is on the leaf spring. I neglected to add to my earlier post that I have 4" shackle lift, which, combined with lifting on the frame would make the shocks bottom out and support the weight of the axle, resulting in premature failure. Main point is to figure out what is best for you. I put my fronts exactly where his are.
It's normal for leaf sprung cars and trucks to droop until reaching the limits of the shock travel. The load on the shock rod when lifting a car like this is minimal and should not cause any damage, but if you are worried about it you can chain or strap the axle up to limit it's droop travel.

It's safest to lift the car by the fixed frame as shown by NovaLL78 rather than through the springs because as you are working on the car you don't want to "bounce" it off the lift.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your comments. I need to find the sweet spot to lift it up without having the doors stick when I open them. I think I will try moving the car maybe a little further back to see if this helps. Also it's nice to know I'm not damaging the rear shocks.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bandit,
With the car just lifted off the floor, I open either door they hang up slightly. They open smoothly however when the car is back down on the floor. The lift location seems to put a slight bow in the frame causing the doors to stick. I my not have the car forward enough or back far enough to keep the frame from bowing slightly. I will have to make series of adjustments before getting it right. I don't believe the frame was damaged because the doors work as they should when the car is off the lift.

Paul

·
Registered
510 Posts
I haven't had that issue when putting my car on jack stands using the same support locations. Mabye your door is adjusted near the edge of opening properly and there is just enough flex to make it stick. I am curious where it is sticking - perhaps adjusting the striker latch would be enough.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The both doors are even and the gaps between the doors and body are even. When the car is on the ground the doors work fine. I hate to adjust them if they open and close with no sticking when on the ground. The back part of the doors seem to be sticking by the latch. I will try and find the sweet spot where the doors open without sticking when up on the lift.

Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts