Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new to the forum first post on here. I have a 1970 nova project and I'm just about ready to start doing body work on. My doors are a little off (my drver's side door sags a little). I took both doors off and drivers side door hinge pins and detent roller are in really bad shape. I would like to replace the bushing, pins, and detent so I could have a good fitment on my doors, and good gaps. I've replaced pins/bushings on another car several years ago, but never on a nova. How hard is it to do? By the looks of it has the original factory stamped pins, so no one has ever messed with these doors. It also has bolt on hinges, which seems a little strange, as I've heard 70 and above have weld-on hinges from the factory. My nova could of been an early 70 I guess...? I'm looking to buy the K106 kit that classicInd. has. Could anyone give me some tips, or pointers?:confused:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
There easy to do. Remove door, unbolt hinge on door side. Knock out pins and bushings and replace. If hole is worn you may need a little larger bushing. These have ridges on them. Use some white grease. Then replace door. A spring tool can come in handy to but spring back in. Good Luck And Welcome to SNS

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Be careful when using that spring tool, The spring can come out of it like a bullet if not seated right. Make sure it's not aimed at anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, lots of good info, thanks guys! I would of never known about the spring tool:D...that camaro hinge kit looks good, comes with everything, I'll go ahead and purchase the kit, and the the tool. Is the detent arm on the nova and camaro exactly the same? I can't really tell if mine is worn, the doors dont stay open, but it's also probably because the detent roller is worn, and also the bushings. Ether way, I'll probably be replacing it as well.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Early built Novas up to about mid Jan 70 had bolt on hinges. Then they changed multiple things including the change to weld on hinges.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Early built Novas up to about mid Jan 70 had bolt on hinges. Then they changed multiple things including the change to weld on hinges.
Expand upon the changes if you will. My 70 has welded hinges so likely it is a later 70 car. It would be nice to know the nuances.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
905 Posts
Expand upon the changes if you will. My 70 has welded hinges so likely it is a later 70 car. It would be nice to know the nuances.
F 41 suspension package went to a rear sway bar set up with 5 leaf springs and performance shocks. Went from throttle rod to cable. Dual snorkel air cleaner on big blocks. etc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts