Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Nova 2 Door, 350 w/Powerglide
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the previous owner replaced the external voltage regulator type alternator with the one-wire kind. After 20 years, that alternator is on it's way out. I have a new Powermaster alternator ready to go in and saw on their instructions they had a kit to keep the "No Charge" light (GEN light) so I bought that too. Looking at the harness, I do not see the plug that went into the original alternator with the blue and white wires. It was probably cut off. Those wires run to the voltage regulator, correct? Are those 2 wires in the wire loom at the top of the radiator support?

If anyone has pictures to share of this, it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
6,819 Posts
Is the 4 wire plug by where the old external voltage regulator was at (by the horn relay on the backside of the radiator support) ?.

Who knows what was done but the blue and white wires that were on the two wire plug at the back of the old original alternator were taped in the loom along with the larger alternator output wire. In the loom the blue and white went to 2 of the 4 terminals on the original external voltage regulator and then the third terminal of the voltage regulator was on a fusible link that then connected with the alternators output wire as well as the main battery wire going to the horn relay buss and the battery junction block, and then the 4th out of the 4 terminals on the original external voltage regulator was a brown wire that went to and through the bulkhead connector to the GEN light in the dash as well as tied into a resistance wire that went to the ignition switch going off of diagrams I have.

https://flic.kr/p/21smzFQ

Jim

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the 4 wire plug by where the old external voltage regulator was at (by the horn relay on the backside of the radiator support) ?.

Who knows what was done but the blue and white wires that were on the two wire plug at the back of the old original alternator were taped in the loom along with the larger alternator output wire. In the loom the blue and white went to 2 of the 4 terminals on the original external voltage regulator and then the third terminal of the voltage regulator was on a fusible link that then connected with the alternators output wire as well as the main battery wire going to the horn relay buss and the battery junction block, and then the 4th out of the 4 terminals on the original external voltage regulator was a brown wire that went to and through the bulkhead connector to the GEN light in the dash as well as tied into a resistance wire that went to the ignition switch going off of diagrams I have.

https://flic.kr/p/21smzFQ

Jim
The old voltage regulator was still on the support and connected so I still have that 4-pin connector. The fusible links are still present and wired as you described. The original loom to the alternator appears to be gone, replaced with a new positive cable to the starter, a wire to the alternator and a wire to the junction box on the radiator support. It looks like they just cut off the harness to the alternator and left everything else in place.

If the blue and white wires from the original connector going into the original alternator are in that wire bundle on the rad support, then I should be able to connect to that, the loom doesn't appear to be hacked.

·
6,819 Posts
I doubt that there will be any connection to the blue and/or white wire but instead to the brown wire on the 4 wire flat connector that plugged into the original external voltage regulator. The old external voltage regulator will not be used or plugged into anything and will be removed from the car.

Now I do not know exactly what alternator you do have and if the above pdf ties into that alternator but also read the PDF as it also suggests the proper gauge wire to go from your new alternator to the battery positive post.

Jim

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt that there will be any connection to the blue and/or white wire but instead to the brown wire on the 4 wire flat connector that plugged into the original external voltage regulator. The old external voltage regulator will not be used or plugged into anything and will be removed from the car.

Now I do not know exactly what alternator you do have and if the above pdf ties into that alternator but also read the PDF as it also suggests the proper gauge wire to go from your new alternator to the battery positive post.

Jim
I have the 12si 100 amp from Powermaster (I'm installing A/C in the winter so the higher amperage was suggested to run the added cooling fans). I do have the proper gauge wire from the battery to the alternator. Those instructions you posted is where I got the part number for the kit to keep the GEN light. Here are the instructions for that:

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/075_IS_150.pdf

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That second method is way less work. Thanks! I'll try that first.

·
6,819 Posts
That second method is way less work. Thanks! I'll try that first.
You will just be bypassing a lot of stuff not really needed. The less splices the better.

Now if you had a pristine harness then I've suggested in the past the plug and play adaptors for at the external voltage regulator and at the 2 wire connector at the alternator that way it's easy to return it to original later if needed.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts