Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has this silver/black vinyl top L-89 (?) car been discussed? And, was a build sheet actually ever proved to exist for the other black L-89 car that Legendary Motors restored? Just curious.
ND

1970 CHEVROLET SS L-89 NOVA 396/375 HP L-89 SUPER SPORT
1970 L-89 Super Sport Nova. Rotisserie restoration. Numbers matching driveline per Protect-O-Plate. 396/375hp, aluminum heads (T0318CKU). Cortez Silver, Black vinyl top, per trim tag (11427). M-21 Muncie 4 speed (P0C20). 12 bolt posi-trac, 4.10 gearing (CBW0305G). Black interior, bench seat, radio delete. SS wheels that were offered as an option, and are clearly shown on a retail order sheet. Goodyear polyglas F- 70 14. This a numbers matching car, and documented with paperwork. I have owned this car restored for over 2 years, I am now forced to sell. Yes, I drive this car and it hauls the groceries. I ran the car in a Vintage Class at a Super Chevy Show, at Moroso Speedway in 2007. The car ran 12.31.77 in the quarter mile. People new the car was something special, I beat a 1969 COPO Camaro 427/425hp car. They produced only 6 of these fine automobiles according to printed literature and various websites. There are two known alive today in existence. Legendary Motorsports restored a beautiful Black car, in '06, '07, '08. It was featured in Hemmings Muscle Machines, pgs 62-67, June 2008. They stated it is the only one to exist. They are correct when looking at engine suffixes. The cars have some differences, but the engine compartment tells it all. There car has a stamping suffix of CKT which is aluminum heads. My car has a stamping suffix of CKU, aluminum heads, heavy duty clutch. Both of these cars are very special, and the only 2 to exist. Ironically, they were both purchased in the state of Pennsylvania, from two different dealers. I encourage to view the car in person! If you are looking for a very special car, an investment greater than the 401K look no further. 1 of 6 produced from General Motors! This is as rare as they come. Please call Rich 561-702-5400 for further questions. I appreciate you looking at the car and I hope you enjoyed it. Thank You.

Price: $139,000 Trades considered

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
L-89 Novas..

I have never seen this car in person...but, I have seen the black one and it is very nice. There has been a lot of discussion on the car sites about the black car..not much about this silver one.. I think I've seen an article or ad before for this silver one..?? Anyway, there are many people who feel these cars were never made...and some who feel they were. The 4.10 axle code for the silver car bothers me a little, since 3.55 was the steepest gear available except for the Yenko Deuce.

Like many others I would love to see the POP and other paperwork that goes with these beautiful cars....perhaps Chevy made a few special cars for "the right people"...lots of funny stuff happened back then.

The best scenario would be documented owner history back to day one...I personally think this has more value than any paperwork. Most Nova enthusiasts would love to see, own or check out a real L-89 car.....I still think the jury is out for a lot of folks on these cars. Maybe we will learn more down the road.

So, how's that for a "vague" answer...??

Perhaps others have more first hand info on this interesting subject :rolleyes:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Years ago :yes:in one of my old magazines I found something about Nickey offering the L89 option in 1968 Chevy II Nova SS 396 cars.Probably Dealer intalled but how coool would that be,68 Nova SS L89 396 with the optioned 410 gear and M22!

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
From what I understand the Black one has documentation, but I wasn't overly impressed with the restoration. IMO when you're going to ask over $100K it should have NOS or at the very least correct appearing parts, this black one had a couple parts that were generic replacement parts.

Here's the black one.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I don't believe either are factory born with aluminum headed cars. I judged the blk one at Vettefest. It's nice, but the heads used, 074, are not right for the rest of the motor configuration.
I would like to believe there are some out there, but one would need a credible original owner statement/signed affidavit, window sticker, and all corresponding docs.
A letter of authenticity from Jesus, Budda, and Allah would help.
If you're looking to buy, I'd take the Forrest Gump philosophy. Run Forrest run.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Schonye,Didn't know that at least he could of put the Close chamber 842 aluminum heads on it.I wonder what pistons he was running with the Open Chamber 074's? So your saw NO copies of original paperwork at Vettefest?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
From the way I understood it talking with LMC, he didn't want to produce the paper work to all the tire kickers, but would if he had a serious offer on the car. I just thought that for the money they wanted, too many thing were incorrect, whether it was to save money or they couldn't locate the correct parts is any ones guess. Anything over $50K, should be done right, even my driver car gets all the correct parts, this a major pet peeve of mine when these guys want the big money and Mickey mouse them!:yes:

·
Registered
905 Posts
The claim was that the 074 heads were factory installed. The owner justified that by saying that 074s are correct for Corvettes in that time frame. That is correct, but there is no corresponding 402 open chamber factory piston that will work with those heads, so you have 074 open chamber heads with closed chamber pistons that give you around 9-1 compression. I don't see that happening.
There also seemed to be a lack of effort to have anything from the original owner/owners ie: signed affidavit of originallity.
I don't believe there are any "with out a doubt" L89 Novas in existance.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wow,a 9 to 1 L89 is just plain wrong!!!! Who knows maybe its a rare 2 bolt main block cast crank with Hydraulic cam cam too.Since he probably never drives it why have the correct stuff,unbelievable,LOL

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Schonyenko2, thanks very much for the insight, great info.

So I've got a set of 074 heads, can I stick 'em on my '70 and claim they came from the factory that way??? :eek::eek:

The reason I questioned the car is that the body lines etc look as though little effort was put into them during the restoration. I understand that GM had questionable manufacturing tolerances, but don't you think a $100,000 car deserves a little more effort. Also, the SS badge on the grill is incorrectly placed and he claims to have raced the car at a nostalgia event.... Run of the mill L78 cars should be run at nostalgia events, not "1 of 6 L-89" cars.

JMHO

ND

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
In 1970 you could still get pretty much whatever you wanted if you knew how to order it, or knew someone that could order it. And besides, anyone that would pay $100,000 for a Nova is damaged goods.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Note in the pic above the PTB stamping on the pass firewall. Novas didn't get PTB stamps. They got stickers on the vent glass. Camaros got PTB.
Body line on Novas, 70's especially can be all over the place. 70's have welded on pillar hinges, and door hinges. No real adjustment. Some fit great, others don't. Also, NOS Nova fenders are not as good as original line fenders. Even the ones made at the same time. Service fenders/etc, were usually produced on overtime rather than regular run time. Sometimes by other than the regular operator, leading to "variations".

Many Novas are sold over 100k. Deuces regularly go for 125-150k depending on color, and options, 69 Yenko Novas are in at around 250-400k. Nickey, Motion, all are up there with verifiable docs.
Very nice L78s in rare colors, and good docs can go 50-75k. I'd say a bullit proof L89 Nova would be worth as high as 250k if they were factory installed, not dealer swapped. As of now, it would be a 1 of 1. Some of us refer to it as the "Holy Grail "of Novas.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Well, if someone will pay 25k for a piece of french toast that has a likeness of Jesus on it on ebay, 100k might be a pretty good deal for a Nova. :D
The market sets the value. What we think doesn't matter much most times.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Many Novas are sold over 100k. Deuces regularly go for 125-150k depending on color, and options, 69 Yenko Novas are in at around 250-400k. Nickey, Motion, all are up there with verifiable docs.
Very nice L78s in rare colors, and good docs can go 50-75k. I'd say a bullit proof L89 Nova would be worth as high as 250k if they were factory installed, not dealer swapped. As of now, it would be a 1 of 1. Some of us refer to it as the "Holy Grail "of Novas.
So, like I said, run of the mill L78's are raced at nostalgia events, not "1 of 1 L-89's".
Have any GM documents etc ever been found that stated that this option was available through COPO etc?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts