Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Nova 2 Door, 350 w/Powerglide
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to diagnose a non working gas gauge in my 70. Being all the lights were out in the cluster, I initially thought the cluster was bad. Checking power at each wire, I saw otherwise. It appears blown bulbs are probably all that is the problem, I’ll know more tonight when it’s dark out if the cluster lights up. At least my directionals work now.

Anyway, I grounded the sending unit at the trunk connector and the gauge still reads full. I tried feeding gauge power from the connector bypassing the ribbon and nothing. It always reads full. Is there supposed to be power to the number 1 spot on the harness, the tan wire? I have power to the pink wire.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,426 Posts
Follow the link below to a video. You probably have an open wire from the sending unit circuit 30 to the cluster or a open on the back of the cluster. There is 12v on the pink when the ignition switch is in the run position.

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
597 Posts
Maybe the sending unit wire is grounded somewhere else? Pinched between something? Rubbing a sharp edge? Use a meter and see if you have continuity to ground when it is disconnected from the sending unit.

·
Registered
1970 Nova 2 Door, 350 w/Powerglide
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled the wire coming from the top of the tank and redid the test. The gauge went to empty. Not sure if it’s rubbing or the unit is bad but I’m going to drop the tank and replace the unit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good advice from sudden_impulse. When I went to replace mine a few years ago, the first replacement was a dud. I exchanged it, and the second one worked perfectly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts