Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a full resto. I removed the trim along the under side of the A piller. What about the trim above the door. This does not seem to come off. I tried the can opener trick and got a little nervous.

And what trim in this area is painted and what is chrome. I am not doing a full correct resto, I just want it to look good

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
The section of drip rail gutter above the door is welded to the roof and not removable like the section that is screwed to the A-pillar.

Some Novas had an optional bright stainless steel trim that snapped on over the outside of the drip rail. That is removable (using an old style can opener or other suitable tool to grip & pull out the bottom edge). But according to the 1970 Nova vehicle info kit from The GM Heritage Center, that was only available on 4-door sedans in 1970.

However, I think the bright stainless drip rail trim was used on cars with a vinyl roof and may have been optional on other years of 3rd gen 2-doors. So you might possibly have this trim on your car, and if it's been painted over it might be hard to tell. One way to check would be to look at the joint where the removable A-pillar section meets up with the rest of the roof drip rail. On cars without the stainless trim, there will be a short (about 1" long) clip that covers the gap where the 2 pieces meet. On cars with the stainless trim, that trim covers the gap and eliminates the need for that little clip.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,370 Posts
Yes, I did the same thing before realizing that it did not come off. It is exactly as Ray described. Mine was painted so when I sanded through the rail and saw it was shiny I was mistaken to think it was trim that could be removed. I tweeked mine a little and have since repaired it. I like the painted look but don't like the 1" clip. It would be a waste of money to get the one piece with the stainless finish and paint it but it looks better without the clip.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If you don't like the clip, it is probably better to permanently install the A pillar drip rail piece and then weld up the gap to the roof drip rail and then paint all of it.

I'm always leery of painting stainless, plus you'd still see the end of the stainless where it would just over lay the roof rail.

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
Yeap took that off of a 71 Nova with the vinyl roof. If it's the stainless painted over then yes it will come off. I took all mine off before paint and did away with the vinyl roof(no rust at all) so I thru all that trim away including the short hard pieces going around the sail panel. My car now is factory paint with the hard connector joining them together.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeap took that off of a 71 Nova with the vinyl roof. If it's the stainless painted over then yes it will come off. I took all mine off before paint and did away with the vinyl roof(no rust at all) so I thru all that trim away including the short hard pieces going around the sail panel. My car now is factory paint with the hard connector joining them together.
Does anybody have a pic of how this looks? What is stainless and what is paint if it were to go back the correct way. I have a trim piece thats painted that wraps around and onto the underside of the A Piller. This connects to the gutter towards the front of the door. So is that trim piece I mentioned stainless and the rest steel, painted body color?

Just looking for the right way for this to go back.

thanks

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
This guy?

That car is, of course, a 4-door. But I believe that gutter molding/trim is from a 2-door. It has been forced to fit, while the driver's side fits like a glove.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This guy?

That car is, of course, a 4-door. But I believe that gutter molding/trim is from a 2-door. It has been forced to fit, while the driver's side fits like a glove.
That pic looks like it is all chrome or stainless. Is there a chrome cover that goes over the back portion? I heard this is only chrome for the four doors. Am I correct on this?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
No, that's not all stainless. The piece you have now is painted and installed on all cars. If the car has the drip rail molding option the the clip is deleted and stainless drip rail cap pieces are snapped over top of the existing, painted drip rail - 3 pieces in all, as shown below:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Follow up; if the car has a vinyl top then it obviously gets those 3 pieces per side and then the sail panel molding as well to trim out the vinyl top back to the rear windshield reveal molding....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
No problem, let us know if you need more detailed pic's of anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts