Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1970 with front and rear drums with no power brakes.
Would it be possible to swap the front disc brakes and power brake booster/master cylinder from a 1978 Nova onto the 1970? If so what would need to be swapped to make it work?
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I'm not sure if the later stuff will interchange, but I used 68-72 Chevelle pieces on a 68 Nova-took everything(spindles, rotors, calipers) and slid em on the Nova in no time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reason I am asking about that model paticularly for the swap is because I have a 1978 Nova that I picked up complete and running for cheap.
If anyone knows if and what will work to swap the 1978 disc setup to the 1970 let me know before I start tearing into the potential donor vehicle.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the quick responses. Glad to have that out of the way. Time to look for another donor car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All you need are the backing plates and the caliper brackets. The rest of the stuff can be found at the local parts store. The drum spindles can be modified.

Note these prices are a few years old, but you get the idea.
Parts List:
Spindles: modified drum
Caliper mounting brackets: D&R Camaro $109.00
Backing plates: D&R Camaro $69.00
Calipers, loaded: CarQuest $100.00
Rotors, new: CarQuest $110.00
Upper caliper bracket bolts: MP Brakes $13.00
Caliper banjo bolts: MP Brakes $13.00
Master cylinder, E64980 Corvette manual disk 1" bore dual bail, new: CarQuest $65.00
Disk brake frame hose brackets: Ricks First Gen. $35.00
Earls Hyper-Flex hoses: Jegs (361-28A160) $70.00
Combo valve: Year One (8383N) $48.00
Combo valve bracket: MP brakes $25.00
TCI line loc: Jegs $76.00
Misc brake lines, fittings and hardware: $30.00

Total with line loc: $687, but you don't need the combo valve, just a prop valve in the line to the rear brakes and use your drum brake distribution block. Also, the prices have gone down on the parts from D&R. D&R is by far the most reasonable on those parts. You will need the caliper mounting brackets to be able to modify the spindles. I used a 4.5" grinder with a cut off wheel to do the job.

D&R's web site is www.drclassic.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts