Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
If a car only has 18,000 original miles on it why would it need to be restored?
Also, there are a few things that are not correct in the engine compartment and it has the wrong tires on it, among some other issues. I hope they get what they want for it, that would mean mine is worth even more! Feel sorry for the one who ends up buying it though, if you are spending that much money you need to have some knowledge about what you are buying! My 2 cents!

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
I really don't see the problem here...

We're all well aware that numbers-matching high-performance cars from that era don't grow on trees. The low mileage just makes it that much more desirable.

The owner has a bottom line and has set that as the reserve. He must know the market fairly well because the bidding is getting serious DAYS (not hours) before the close of the auction. Would I pay that much for it? Well... it would depend on how badly I wanted it and just how fat my bank account was...:rolleyes:

I'm lucky in that I already own the one Nova I want. If I were staring through the window of the candy store at just the car I wanted, it's hard to tell how silly I might be.:yes::yes:

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
The photos in the ad show two different Ohio plates. I live in Ohio and can tell you that, without question, any car just left to sit in a garage for 40-or-so years would definitely need to be restored!
Also, there are a few things that are not correct in the engine compartment
You obviously have a better eye than I do... it looks pretty original to me...
and it has the wrong tires on it, among some other issues.
True, but you gotta admit that it wouldn't look all that great with the white-stripe wide-ovals...

My 1 cent... since my opinion isn't worth much at all! :D

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Also, there are a few things that are not correct in the engine compartment and it has the wrong tires on it, among some other issues. I hope they get what they want for it, that would mean mine is worth even more! Feel sorry for the one who ends up buying it though, if you are spending that much money you need to have some knowledge about what you are buying! My 2 cents!
I'm doing a frame off complete restoration of an 68 GTO..9,000 miles and
it came from Columbus Ohio and was garage stored. It was in good shape
but as Dave said needed restored. Owner I'm doing it for will be asking in
the 60 grand area. He does have docs, 4 speed and conv. thou.

Chuck

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just a quick question or two. The headlight bezels aren't black out on this car. Would it have come from the factory like this? Did GM ever send a SS out with anything other than the blacked out bezels? Oops, my bad. It shows it both ways but I would still appreciate an answer.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Just a quick question or two. The headlight bezels aren't black out on this car. Would it have come from the factory like this? Did GM ever send a SS out with anything other than the blacked out bezels? Oops, my bad. It shows it both ways but I would still appreciate an answer.
I could totally see that happening. These cars were mass produced and they threw anything on them they had in the parts bin on hand. Same reason you see SS emblems on the grilles at different heights, and crappy fitting body panels, and runs all down the firewall and in the door jambs... no quality control. I don't think they envisioned Novas being $50K + collector items at the time!!

People over restore cars so well these days, they forget the reality of mass production back then... JMO!!

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
I'LL PASS, I'VE ONLY SEEN A HANDFUL OF 3RD GENS WORTH THAT KINDA COIN! :rolleyes:
AND THAT'S NOT ONE OF THEM! :no:

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Bezels...

This is a very common "resto blooper"....the 70-72 non-SS bezels are readliy available, so most folks just install them and never correct the mistake. I see this quite a bit on "restored" cars...the other common error is installing the SS front grill emblem upside down or too low/high in the grill. There are lots things like this on 3rd gen Novas...even though all the correct info is out there to do it right the first time.

wilma:cool:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thanks for the reply WILMASBOYL78! It looks as though the blacked out bezels are for a 69 because I don't see a verticle bar. I take you to mean that it wouldn't come from the factory any other way than with blacked out bezels on a SS. Again thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts