Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I am from Germany and not very familiar with US thread sizes. So I have to ask some questions to be sure that I will order the right parts afterwards.
I have a 1970 Nova with a 396 big block in it which is mostly stock. I have a lot of leaking trouble in the past with the mechanical gauges (aftermarket, not stock) for oil presure and water temp in the past so I want to convert them into ones with electrical sending units. And now the challenge begins...

First of all here is a picture from my car because I know every body likes pictures :)

Let's start with the oil presure. I have a Oil presure fitting above the oil filter. The actual mechanical sending unit is connecte there. Can someone tell me which thread this fitting has on the side where it is connected to the line for the gauge? I want to go with AutoMeter Gauges which includes an electrical sending unit with 1/8 NPT thread and a 1/4 NPT adapter, will this fit on the original fitting?

And an additional question, where is the "sending unit" for the stock oil presure warning light in the dash located?

Next is the water temperature which is in my car located on the driver side of the engine block (marked blue).

I don't think that this is a good lokation for a sending unit above the headers so I want to relocate the new electric one. For that I have to close the hole for the old one, which size of plug do I need for that?

I have an old Holley Street Dominator intake manifold with two "slots" (marked with 1 and 2 on the piture) for aditional pipes or whatever. I would try to use N. 1 for the new electrical sending unit but I am not sure that it will fit and if it is the right one? The water temp sending unit has a 1/8 NPT thread and will come with a 3/8 and 1/2 NPT adapter, will this fit in hole N.1 or do I have to use N.2?

I know this is a long text but I can't return any parts back from Germany to USA so I have to be sure the parts I order are correct.

Thanks for your help!
Stefan

Attachments

Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
While I am no help with your questions, I will say that is a BEAUTIFUL car you have!!!:yes::yes:

Registered
If you don't want to mess with the intake there is always adapters that splice into the upper radiator hose pre-tapped for the temperature sending unit. I have used that style on 2 ls swaps for the added benefit of terminating the steam port vent there as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't want to mess with the intake there is always adapters that splice into the upper radiator hose pre-tapped for the temperature sending unit. I have used that style on 2 ls swaps for the added benefit of terminating the steam port vent there as well.
Thanks for your replay. I know the adapters for the radiator hose and also the spacer for the water neck with the thread for the sending unit but these options are not the way I want to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts