Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i'm rebuilding my Nova i bought 5 years ago. It's not a bad ass 2door SS but i'm trying to make a beauty of it.

I am totally an amateur but a fast learner, i also got help from my friends.
Its just a dream to build my own car. I know it's not a toy and many things needs professional attention, and that's why i'm collecting all the information i can get.

At this point the subframe is mounted with new bushings and i'm installing the suspension with new tubular control arms, springs and shocks. Now i am cleaning rest of suspension and steering and looking for new brakes to assembly the whole front suspension.
meanwhile i'm restoring the 4 doors and rest of the body.

I am looking for assembly manuals too. advices??
greetings from Belgium

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi, i'm rebuilding my Nova i bought 5 years ago. It's not a bad ass 2door SS but i'm trying to make a beauty of it.

I am totally an amateur but a fast learner, i also got help from my friends.
Its just a dream to build my own car. I know it's not a toy and many things needs professional attention, and that's why i'm collecting all the information i can get.

At this point the subframe is mounted with new bushings and i'm installing the suspension with new tubular control arms, springs and shocks. Now i am cleaning rest of suspension and steering and looking for new brakes to assembly the whole front suspension.
meanwhile i'm restoring the 4 doors and rest of the body.

I am looking for assembly manuals too. advices??
greetings from Belgium

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey there.

Utmost best of luck and fun with your project.
You’ll get dozens of naysayers regarding the 307 I am sure but hold strong if that’s what you want.

I’ve been readying my 307 for a few years now and the biggest issue I came across is pistons. If your still on standard bore and don’t need to oversize, then your truly blessed. Until you need to rebore.

This may sound extreme and unbelievable, but there are no off the shelf pistons that will give you the correct compression distance. That is the correct height of the flat of the piston top to the block deck.
All aftermarket pistons will have your piston top sit between .045 and .050 down the bore. This is a result of have a compression height of 1.655” on the piston.
That is the distance from the centre of wrist pin to the top of the piston face.

So how do you get around this?
You can shave .020 to .025” off your block deck depending on how far you are down the bore. This then means you’ll also have to have the intake manifold face on the heads skimmed as well as the intake manifold itself. Or you can go the route I did and have custom pistons made. Neither option is cheap.

Another possibility is to have the block bored to 4.000” if you get the block cylinder walls thickness tested. My block has a numbering of 3970020 which the bore wal are thick enough to do this. If you go this option, you’ll actually have a 327cid motor.

if you’re running the standard heads on your 307, you’ll find they large combustion chambers. This may let you down on the compression ratio but if your building a stock to very mild engine, they may be suitable.

Other than this, have a ton of fun and learn lots. You’ll never forget what you learnt and you’ll use the experiences as a stepping stone for the next and then the next project again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts