Chevy Nova Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Well I am back, working on the 70 SS. Thinking of just running it as a scca type car for fun.. power washed the nova hoping to knock off the terrible yellow paint to show the Cortez silver under it better...but no can do...

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Broke off the brake drums off the 70 subframe I aquired, since my 70 didn't have one when I got it... it's ready to put on once my subframe bushing/bolt package gets here...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I was told my car was used as a dirt track race car. Might explain the cut rear fender wells...

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
492 Posts
I watched the video and have been looking at the pics...a couple thoughts come to mind:

1. The heater core is a good indicator of BB/SB engine determination but not fail-safe and definitely not the only indicator. There are lots of parts suppliers that sell BB heater box stuff so it is easy to clone. There are BB-specific clues on the firewall such as speedo cable location and possibly others that can determine BB or SB car.

2. There isn't a vacuum booster on the brake master cylinder; all SS (BB and SB) cars came with power brakes (disc front/drum rear).

3. It is not an A/C car, even though the climate control has "AIR" printed on it. The "AIR" setting is to allow fresh air in from the cowl area. The A/C cars had a more complex control with the fan switch at the top...and dash vents.

You have a TON of work ahead of you if you plan to "restore" this one back to its former glory. But it can be done with the right amount of time and $$$. Good luck and have fun!

·
13,701 Posts
A few more thoughts based on the video.

Bucket seats, console and console gauges do not necessarily indicate a Super Sport. The 1970 Nova SS came standard with bench seats, no console and vinyl covered floors. Bucket seats and a console were individual extra cost options that could be ordered for any Nova Coupe, not just the SS. However, gauges were only an option for the console on V/8 cars.

As mentioned above, all Super Sports came with power front disc brakes. Your pics/video show no booster. There have been so many changes made to this car that I wouldn't use this omission to say it's not an SS. I believe from other evidence, it probably is.

Without original paperwork, I don't think you'll every know beyond a shadow of a doubt whether it was a big block or not. It really doesn't matter, because without the BB engine, it's just another 1970 Nova SS. I'd do whatever you want with this car, although attempting to restore it as a 'no proof' big block wouldn't be my choice.

Bob

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Sorry for the late late late reply....I appreciate your insight. Working on the car again.

As has been said...tons of work needs done to the car.... looking at it again, roof, passenger side floor board...and trunk floor is ok, but questionable. Quarters have been cut for supposedly dirt track racing back in the day to fit the bigger tires...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Metal work is on the agenda first.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sorry for the late late late reply....I appreciate your insight. Working on the car again.

As has been said...tons of work needs done to the car.... looking at it again, roof, passenger side floor board...and trunk floor is ok, but questionable. Quarters have been cut for supposedly dirt track racing back in the day to fit the bigger tires...
View attachment 407790
I watched your video and you mentioned that it would have had an aluminum head 396 in it, but I wanted to mention that all L-78's had cast iron heads. Maybe you know that now as your original post is pretty old. If you are planning on restoring it I just wanted to mention that I have a 70 L-78 (402) with casting date of 10/9, with correct heads, intake,
new cam, rings, all rebuilt and ready to go. The motor is originally out of an LA built Camaro and so no vin number is stamped up on top as they stamped them down by the oil filter. Anyway, if any interest please feel free to PM me. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Yes, you are correct, my information was not all there back then... heck half is probably bad now lol.
Let me ask about the original fuel lines... I have been told that the l78 had the big fuel line and return line where the smaller hp 396 had a big fuel line and smaller return line? If ethis is correct? Where are you located?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes, you are correct, my information was not all there back then... heck half is probably bad now lol.
Let me ask about the original fuel lines... I have been told that the l78 had the big fuel line and return line where the smaller hp 396 had a big fuel line and smaller return line? If ethis is correct? Where are you located?
375 h.p. had a single 3/8" fuel line only and the 350 h.p had that plus a smaller return line. I'm in Colorado
I forgot to mention in above post that the L-78 motor I have has CKO stamped on the above pad which means 375 manual trans. Also the assembly date is stamped there and it is 10/16. I think your car is 10D with is October 4th week.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts