Discussion Starter #22
[/URL][/IMG]

Loading from the yard

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm guessing where the gauge console was at.. Not as faded carpet and hole cut in carpet for console I'm guessing

Did not find console yet

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Cleaning the mess from animals...no build sheet found yet
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Is there an in dash tach still in the car? It was rare for these cars to have the console and gauges for some reason, if I went so far as to order the buckets and console, I think I would have splurged for the gauges too, but many didn't.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
70 Nova..

Judging by the photos....this car will take a lot of work to get to the finish line. Since born with driveline is gone...and it needs so much in the way of parts/sheet metal...have you considered starting with a more solid foundation??

I don't want to minimize your enthusiasm for the project...but, there are lots of cars out there that need a lot less work. Maybe once you have it cleaned up and sorted out it will look a little better...this is just my first reaction.

-wilma

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
so far looks like maybe a L48 or L34 car with option 733 and D55.... can you post what it says on the firewall tag?

ST 70=1970

1 Chevrolet

14 =Nova V8

27 2 door sedan

Wrn=Willow Run Mi

733= black vinyl buckets

14 Cortex silver

10d October 4th week

A = black interior
3= 3rd level trim???? It did have a Vinyl top

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Build it to suit your personal taste. A 70 in Cortez silver is sweet, no matter what's under the hood.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So far this car needs and possibly needs ;

Possible roof
Passenger side floor front board
Various interior stuff
Quarter panels
few spots here and there
Console missing
Steering column
I do have a subframe...but not a 70 I think its a 71.

Of course interior redone... carpet, headliner, seats recovered.

Lots of stuff as we all know...tires
.bushings ..brakes...etc etc etc

I'm sure I forgot tons of stuff.

I've brought back cars with more damage..so far car seems to be a 396 SS I'm guessing l34 since the other is so much rarer...
Car's last plates show 1984 same as inspection.
I'm guessing it would be hard to find out if it was the aluminum head 396/402 anyway since I don't have paperwork so far...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
PHP:
Build it to suit your personal taste. A 70 in Cortez silver is sweet, no matter what's under the hood.
I'm starting to agree....more I look into the car it seems like a big list for all original car...probably won't stop me from collecting parts along the way. But it looks like I will put a 396/402 in it..and a 4 speed back in it...won't be near original... But I can collect the parts lol

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
can you post some pics of the subframe that you have? in my opinion I think for now you should put it together with the parts that you have using the 454 and a Muncie 4spd. then later on as you collect correct parts you can start to change it. im sure the subframe you have will work. if you post pics of the subframe I can tell you for sure and even identify the exact of it year too...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
can you post some pics of the subframe that you have? in my opinion I think for now you should put it together with the parts that you have using the 454 and a Muncie 4spd. then later on as you collect correct parts you can start to change it. im sure the subframe you have will work. if you post pics of the subframe I can tell you for sure and even identify the exact of it year too...

I will as soon as I get it here. I'm in the process of moving.

No tach in the dash gauges the cluster wasn't even bolted in..and instrument cluster bezel is cracked and broken in several spots.

Wiring seems to be in good shape even after all the animals in it Lol

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I've brought back cars with more damage..so far car seems to be a 396 SS I'm guessing l34 since the other is so much rarer...
Car's last plates show 1984 same as inspection.
I'm guessing it would be hard to find out if it was the aluminum head 396/402 anyway since I don't have paperwork so far...
Ironically the L34 is rarer then the L78 as the cost was so minimal it was worth buying the L78. If there is no in dash tach, this car came without gauges and console are still reasonable to buy used or new.

The aluminum head engine seem to be next to impossible to varify without paper work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Taz3 I haven't found paperwork yet..and don't think I will unless the front seats have it...but It doesn't have a tach in the dash just the clock and fuel gauge and when I took it out it was all plugged in....not bolted in but wired up...

Something odd its like a blue can of spray paint blew up in it or the car was used in a bank robbery and the money bag paint bomb went off in the car
..Lol most on passenger side and everywhere... Windshield too. I've got most of it off but blue mist is all over the place lol

·
13,701 Posts
Taz3 I haven't found paperwork yet..and don't think I will unless the front seats have it.
As Tom Williams mentioned in an earlier post, even if you find a Fisher Body sheet in the seats, unfortunately it won't tell you what engine was in the car.

Bob

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
As Tom Williams mentioned in an earlier post, even if you find a Fisher Body sheet in the seats, unfortunately it won't tell you what engine was in the car.

Bob
Right...I'm getting closer though. There ought to be more tell tail signs...like the fuel line question. How many and what size was asked. Cut out in carpet with carpet not as faded was a good sign of console.. Big block heater box everyone knows
.. Not thinking I have the aluminum head big block car...but would like to find out more information on it..and more importantly want to represent it correctly.

Did the different Muncies have different shifter boot bolt locations?

Appreciation for those helping!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I would say an authentic restoration only if all of the goodies are present, it is expensive to say the least to put a legit big block car back together with all of the right parts!! I am in the same boat with my 70 SS. I drove it home a few years back stored in a basement. I bought for my boy.

the big block is long gone!! but everything else is still in place. I have the paperwork from the engine swap and a close on dates big block to replace the small block. or maybe an LS3 and a six speed??
Love the car!! Do they sell those exact seat covers? I have the exact seat cover design. Not sure if there are others but mine is the same as yours.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts