Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I have owned lots of Novas in the past and could not log on to my old user name...and admin never sent me a return email.. So new user name... Account...:cool:

Found a 70 SS 396 on a friends property... Vin and cowl tags information read it as:
V8
Cortex Silver
Black vinyl bucket seats

There is more from the tags but I don't have the information in front of me.

Car had a black vinyl top
4 speed hump /factory hole
12 bolt rear end
Big block heater box
396 emblems on fenders in trunk

Bad:
Missing subframe with motor
No 4 speed
Some normal rust
Painted yellow at some point with the silver under it.

Now to the question/s

Should I try to take the car back to original as I can (try to find dated motor, 4 speed etc). Or should I just put the car back together and be good with a non matching SS? The original seats are in the car and I haven't looked for the build sheet to see if I can find which HP 396 was in it...besides motor ..trans ...subframe...and radiator support it looks to all be there etc...

I have never had a real SS Nova before and with a desired original color I think it would be cool to have as real of a SS as possible... But I'm also a realist. I have a subframe (non ss) I can put under it and a 454 I can use till I find 70 ss stuff...

What is the educated opinion on this??
I appreciate all information in advance....

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
My vote is to build it into your version of a Nova and have lots of fun with it. Way more fun to use and abuse plus you can make it better/faster than any SS out there.

·
13,701 Posts
Very little SS396 left in this car. Probably cost prohibitive to restore it as such and still have a non numbers car. You may not even be able to determine if it was an L78 or an L34. I'd restore it as a nice Cortez Silver SS350.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
You know, I used to think that some cars were too far gone, too many parts missing, to restore them. But at least two I owned I wish I had back because I later found all I would have needed to restore them to original, or very, very close.

Maybe take a designated amount of time to come up with the correct pieces, a year? If the magic parts don't come around (this site would be a good place to try to find many of them), then maybe go another route?

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Frame-Up

Are SS sub-frames different that other X body frames?

News to me.

I would slide the frame you have under the body, with new polyurethane body bushings, and proceed from there.

A small block and TH 350 could get the car moving for not a lot of money, and you would be on your way to some good times with the car.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
subframes are only cosmetically different from year to year. what year is your subframe? if you don't know got a pic of it? ill tell you the year. you should build it close to original....not to many 733 cars out there. does it have a factory console? how many fuel lines? and what size?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
You'll need better proof then emblems and heater core to verify this as a real SS BB car. There are plenty of BB only parts to support whether the car is an SS or not, but paper work would be your best find.

I have a none numbers matching 69 BB and a numbers matching 69 BB, I built the none number car to enjoy on the street and so far no one has been able to prove it's not a real BB car, because it has all the original BB parts and they're dated within reason. Even though the original drivetrain is long gone, there are enough original L78 BB parts to prove easier then not, my car is a real SS.

I would build it as a day 2 BB car and enjoy it, the beauty is, you wont blow an numbers matching engine!:no:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
subframes are only cosmetically different from year to year. what year is your subframe? if you don't know got a pic of it? ill tell you the year. you should build it close to original....not to many 733 cars out there. does it have a factory console? how many fuel lines? and what size?
Im hauling the 70 home on Saturday hopefully, so I will get you that fuel line sizes and pics. As far as the subframe I should have said non disk brakes subframe.

Factory console : did not see it, but there are parts in the car and trunk. Friend has sold parts off cars and thieves have also stolen parts from the property. Hood is missing but he swears he didn't sell it...

I'm kind of leaning towards your thinking with getting it mostly correct.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'll need better proof then emblems and heater core to verify this as a real SS BB car. There are plenty of BB only parts to support whether the car is an SS or not, but paper work would be your best find.

I have a none numbers matching 69 BB and a numbers matching 69 BB, I built the none number car to enjoy on the street and so far no one has been able to prove it's not a real BB car, because it has all the original BB parts and they're dated within reason. Even though the original drivetrain is long gone, there are enough original L78 BB parts to prove easier then not, my car is a real SS.

I would build it as a day 2 BB car and enjoy it, the beauty is, you wont blow an numbers matching engine!:no:
The bucket interior is in such good shape I'm hoping to find the build sheet.

·
Registered
547 Posts
How far do you want to go in the "Authentic Resto" rebuild? The closer to origional, the more bucks, and time you will spend. Personally, I vote for the "Close enough" school. Build it and enjoy the fruits of your labor. After all, it is just a hobby. And unless you plan on selling it on Mecham. Close enough is good enough. Bottom line. Its your car. And only you will know when to stop.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
to resto or not

I would say an authentic restoration only if all of the goodies are present, it is expensive to say the least to put a legit big block car back together with all of the right parts!! I am in the same boat with my 70 SS. I drove it home a few years back stored in a basement. I bought for my boy.

the big block is long gone!! but everything else is still in place. I have the paperwork from the engine swap and a close on dates big block to replace the small block. or maybe an LS3 and a six speed??

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'd build it like you want it.. If it's a visual thing for you to have an original looking SS, then just dress the 454 as a 396. :D

I wish I could find cars like that.. can't wait to go on the hunt for a rust free shell next year down south. Hoping to score a '70 SS.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Dealer-duece, awesome car!!!

I've thought about dressing the 454 as a 396 until I get parts. Just found a 70 nova 396/402 locally. Same guy has the disk brake setup as well. Not sure what else he has...
I did find a 70 parts car ...but it was t boned..so hoping I can get some non damaged 70 parts.

Thank you all for your continued input.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Super Dave...I have 69 Chevelles as well and have had 6 or so 69 Chargers...I have only found 1 SS Chevelle....1 RT Charger and now 1 SS Nova. I usually end up with green basic cars of all makes lol

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
look at the floor to tell if it had a factory console. a plain 4spd will have a hole cut with oxy and no hump spot welded. while a console car will have that plus a hump spot welded on top of that. that should tell you if you had D55...Also check the back seat for the sheet....

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The non console cars have the hole cut on the left side of the tunnel, console cars are cut more to the center with a hump.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
70 ss 396...

Once you have the car home and can share some detailed photos we can probably offer some better input. Building a car is a personal thing...most of the costs for a restoration are the same regardless of the engine/drivetrain combo. Obviously BB upgrades will add more cost, but again that is a personal choice. I have inspected a lot of Novas over the years...most cars speak for themselves if you know what to look for.

As for documentation...since it is a 1970 the Fisher Build Sheet will not have the engine listed....it will list the SS body conversion. This sheet is normally found in the top of the back seat on the pass. side...but they have showed up in other locations.

Folks on this site are a good starting point for gathering parts and information..so we will wait for photos and see what you have.

Good luck.

-wilma

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fuel lines I found in the trunk... Not sure if they are this cars or not.
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[/URL][/IMG]

Here are the openings

1 - 20 of 72 Posts