Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Are the 1969 Nova and Camaro exterior door handles the same? Getting conflicting info depending who I ask.

Thanks!

Ed

·
6,385 Posts
If you feel lucky, get the ones for a Camaro ?. It might just be easier to just get the ones for a Nova and if they don't fit, at least they cannot say you ordered the wrong part (and I'm guessing you are wanting new ones and not used ones ?).

I can say that the exterior "might" be the same but the difference could be in the thumb button rod length. While I do not know what was going on with a set of door handles I bought for my 74 but I put them on my 68 and the thumb button rods in the new handle kit were too short and had a different end on them that pushed against the latch mechanism. I was able to swap out the original pins and put them into the new thumb buttons and all is good.

I have heard of issues with the thumb rod being too long or too short and then the person wonders why the door doesn't open like it used to or doesn't even open from too short of a rod. I'm glad I checked mine because if I would have installed them with the too short rods and closed the door, the outside handles would not have released the mechanism. So with that being said, check the operation before putting the door all the way back together.

Jim

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
According to the GM parts catalogs, the exterior door handles are the same for 1968 through 1979 X-body, 1967 - 1969 Camaro, and 1964 - 1967 Chevelle. But that's just for the handle itself and doesn't include the button / pushrod. The part numbers for the button with pushrod do appear to be X-body specific (there's one # for 2-dr & front 4-dr and a different # w/shorter rod for the rear of 4-dr).

So like Jim said, the replacement/reproduction door handle assemblies are most likely different since they are usually sold with the button & pushrod.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I replaced my existing outside door handles on my 74 Nova (2 door) with new set of handles from Goodmark. The fit and finish of the Goodmark door handles was excellent! Handles were sold as a complete set including everything shown in the photos below.

I found the best prices for these handles at RockAuto, but they are also available from most aftermarket auto part suppliers (Summit, Jegs, etc.).
Goodmark Door Handle Set Part # GMK401244068S (fit 68-74 Nova)

NOTE: If you do purchase aftermarket door handles, be sure to use the included hardware to mount them. I believe the new hardware is metric.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. The reason I asked if Camaro and Nova were the same is I know someone selling a nice set of original Camaro handles and if they were the same was going to snatch them up. I had heard some NOS weren't the same (some called them knife blade handles) but that some reproductions were close to original.

Mike, they do look good. I've had good luck with the Goodmark items I've used in the past.

Thanks again!

Ed

·
Registered
103 Posts
Really? Metric? ie: The screws are different from 'original,' which means the handles are also different. Glad I have a dozen originals in the attic though some may be tarnished.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The reason I asked if Camaro and Nova were the same is I know someone selling a nice set of original Camaro handles and if they were the same was going to snatch them up. I had heard some NOS weren't the same (some called them knife blade handles) but that some reproductions were close to original.
Sounds like a deal worth considering. You could always swap out the buttons/rods with your existing handles if they're in good condition. Or as Jim said, it is possible to remove the rods from the buttons and swap them over.

Really? Metric? ie: The screws are different from 'original,' which means the handles are also different. Glad I have a dozen originals in the attic though some may be tarnished.
I bought a pair of handles for my '74 from Trim Parts. Excellent fit & finish but it's been quite a few years so I can't remember for sure exactly what they used for screws. I don't recall them being metric though. In any case, I don't think it would be a serious issue as long as matching hardware is included and isn't obviously visible once installed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts