Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing body fitment on my nova and the fenders have big gaps where it meets the firewall. I didn't take it apart I got it without the fenders, is this shimmed? or am I missing a part? can someone post a pic of this for me please thanks

·
6,502 Posts
Shims go in those spots if needed. On my 74 I actually had to smack the firewall face bolt area in to get the fender to shift rearward and in the photo's you can see I have a note to slot or elongate that hole some to get a better alignment of things. Also in the photo is a bracket with a bolt and locknut and this is not factory but something I added to where when the hood is closed I have the best level between the top of the hood and the top of the fender by the cowl. Eventually this bolt will be replaced with a radiator support type of adjuster bolt that has the rubber cap on it.
DSC08074.JPG

Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shims go in those spots if needed. On my 74 I actually had to smack the firewall face bolt area in to get the fender to shift rearward and in the photo's you can see I have a note to slot or elongate that hole some to get a better alignment of things. Also in the photo is a bracket with a bolt and locknut and this is not factory but something I added to where when the hood is closed I have the best level between the top of the hood and the top of the fender by the cowl. Eventually this bolt will be replaced with a radiator support type of adjuster bolt that has the rubber cap on it. View attachment 403401

Jim
thanks it's such a big gap I thought for sure something was missing haha

·
6,502 Posts
I have to think if it's a factory part it might be smaller than one with an aftermarket fender. I've read in some of the Camaro sites about the inner structure on the fenders are not welded in properly in the right spot and there are issues with things fitting right or having to use excessive thickness stacks of shims.

Also when fitting the fender, see how well the bent in lower area is at the bottom and the crease on the bottom edge of the door. I had to cut into the inner structure of the stock fenders on my 74 so I had a real good fit.

Another member's before fit:

And how it can look with tweaking the inner structure:

Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to think if it's a factory part it might be smaller than one with an aftermarket fender. I've read in some of the Camaro sites about the inner structure on the fenders are not welded in properly in the right spot and there are issues with things fitting right or having to use excessive thickness stacks of shims.

Also when fitting the fender, see how well the bent in lower area is at the bottom and the crease on the bottom edge of the door. I had to cut into the inner structure of the stock fenders on my 74 so I had a real good fit.

Another member's before fit:

And how it can look with tweaking the inner structure:

Jim
mine looks good there just the big ass gap

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,320 Posts
There are 5 places, the 2 you asked about plus 2 places at the bottom rear of the fenders and one hidden above the upper door hinge. The one above the door hinge (view A) is a little harder to get to but can be done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts