Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a picture of where the switch for the rear defogger is located on 1968 Novas? I know where it goes for 1969-79 but because the 1968 dash is different, I have no idea where it went. Also, is there are difference on cars with and without A/C?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thats a good question about the location of the 68 defroster switch. What does the switch even look like? My 71 parts car has the same outer bezel as the 69 or 70 but has a black switch knob. The switches I normally see have a flat, horizontal , chrome plated plastic nob. I bought the right defroster for the 68 years ago but could never find the right switch or location.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nova_Guy said:
I can't post them here and I made a mistake, so sue me! I went back and fixed them for you.

I posted the only pictures of the 68 dash I could find on the web. In the add it metions the rear window defroster. I don't know what it looks like either I thought this might help you. It didn't don't be an A$$ about it.
I didn't ask for pics of the dash, I wanted pics of the switch. ClassicNovas.net is the first place I looked before posting here. I wanted pics from people who know. If you don't know the answer, why did you post? That's one thing that annoys me about bulletin boards. People post replies when they don't know the real answer. That just confuses people or gives bad info.

I would say about half the comments you make here are rude smart a$$ed when they don't need to be.
Here we go again. I guess it's time to leave again. Sorry for not be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
9,799 Posts
OK, here's another 'not sure but' answer. :) I'm not sure if all 68 GMs were this way, but...

On my 68 Firebird, the factory rear defroster was just a fan mounted under the rear package shelf directed up at the window. It made noise, and blew air around, but wasn't really much good as a defroster... At any rate, the switch for it was underneath the lower left corner of the dash, just to the right of where the parking brake release knob is. The switch was tucked up behind the dash, and the knob poked out through a small (I seem to remember rectangular?) hole at the bottom edge of the dash. It had a flat chrome plastic knob with a knurled edge. You rotated it to turn it on and off. The orientation was such that the flat of the knob was nearly parallel with the floor, so all you saw was a bit of the knurled edge. I actually owned the car for a while before I noticed the switch there.

I just did a quick google search. Here's a picture from a Camaro site...it looks very similar to what I remember, so I'm betting the Nova used the same thing.

UPDATE: found a Camaro picture with the switch...look just under the 'F' in the 'property of' label:

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of where the switch for the rear defogger is located on 1968 Novas? I know where it goes for 1969-79 but because the 1968 dash is different, I have no idea where it went. Also, is there are difference on cars with and without A/C?
Here is a picture of the switch it is just to right of the hand brake lever,sorry I don't have a closer view as my car is in the shop.The bracket was hung under the dash it was black with a chrome knob.I hope you can make it out.
It was just a bolt on item.

·
Registered
15 Posts
port alberni

Thats a good question about the location of the 68 defroster switch. What does the switch even look like? My 71 parts car has the same outer bezel as the 69 or 70 but has a black switch knob. The switches I normally see have a flat, horizontal , chrome plated plastic nob. I bought the right defroster for the 68 years ago but could never find the right switch or location.
i can;t remember 68 acadian in town ? what colour is it thanks ed:canada:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts