Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the car and the transmission. I want to talk or correspond with someone who has done this transmission swap.

Major problems that I see are:
(1) Hooking up the TV cable as the linkage is on the intake manifold instead of the 1bbl carb. Possibly a newer carb with linkage on it? Don't want to go to a aftermarket intake, unless necessary.
(2) what flex plate to use.
(3) will old trans crossmember work?
(4) what trans mount will work?

My car is a standard shift, 68 Chevy II, with the 230 c.i. engine.

I have a column shift from a 68 that was automatic, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I know the 200-4R will bolt to my engine (came out of a 85 Buick LeSabre).

Any help appreciated, Lou at 501-835-1513 email [email protected]

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Are you sure about the trans fitting if it's true buick it is differnt then chevy.
The Grand National and Monte Carlo of the same model year are not interchangeable unless trans has dual bolt pattern check to make sure so you don't find out to far into your build.Just a little heads up I could be wrong cause buick's also had chev motors in them with chevy trans.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the transmission that I took out of the 85 Buick LeSabre had the dual bolt pattern. I don't think that will be a problem for me.

·
Registered
818 Posts
For the flexplate, any non-400 small block with two piece rear seal flexplate plate will work. Make sure you get the same tooth count (probably 153) so you can reuse your starter.

From what I have read the the 200 should be the same length as your old bellhousing and 3 speed combo. Measure from the engine side of the bell housing to the end of the trans and end of bell housing to the trans mount pad on both set-ups to make sure they match. The mounts should be the same, but the 200 likely will need metric bolts.

For the tv cable you can probably use a generic carb cable mount from any decent parts house. I believe Bowtie Overdrives has specifc linkage/TV adapters.

Good luck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts