Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice on how to sell my Nova. It's my first time selling a classic car myself and I've seen a lot of disparity in prices online. I'm an active duty Marine officer and will have orders to Hawaii leaving in January. I HAVE to sell this car well before then. It will be too expensive to store and/or ship.

The car is a 1968 Chevy II Nova, 307 V8 with the paperwork for all modifications and any work done on it since 1968; including the original purchase receipt. The body is in overall good condition with majority original parts throughout. Over the years a Viper security system, Alpine audio system, disc breaks, power steering, and under dash A/C were added. I purchased the car from Streetside Classics in Charlotte, NC for $20,000.

The problem: I tried consigning it back in 2012 but it failed to attract any buyers. In February 2013 I attempted to drive it from it's previous home of Charlotte, NC to its current location in Gainesville, FL. It blew a tired and damaged the rear left fender so I had it shipped the rest of the way. It has sat covered and untouched for 3 years in storage (I blame recruiting duty). Now it won't start.

I put in a new battery but it won't turn over. Right now I assume it's the low oil, old fuel filter, and 5-10 gallons of bad gas in it. We're going to add oil, siphon the gas, and attempt to get it started. We think it might also be a bad starter. Below are some questions I need answered.

What kind of price should I list it for? I can provide all kinds of information/photos to help.

What websites are the best to list it on?

What are some scams/problems I should watch out for when selling?

Should I continue to try to fix up the vehicle to get it to sell or would you recommend selling it "as is"?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Pictures are worth a thousand words. A few years of not running isn't a big deal if all was in order when it was parked.

·
Registered
547 Posts
First: Thank you for your service. Because of you, and those like you, we enjoy the freedoms that we have now. Second: This is the forum to get advice on your Nova. A link to cl or ebay ad would be helpful. Of course more pictures. Especially any body damage. And lastly, Welcome to the site. Wish it was under better circumstances than trying to sell your car. I hope it finds a good home. Most scammers want you to send them money for shipping, carhauler fees, ect. If they ask for money,in any way, it's a scam.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I don't think "low oil" would cause the car to not start up. However, if it was ran with "No oil" you may be looking at some major repair.

If the car is not functional, its value will be greatly reduced.

As an officer, and if you could drive the car, aren't you entitled to ship the car for free?

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
68 Nova..

It will be easier to sell if it runs and drives...if needed, pay someone to get it running and sorted out. As for the body damage...let the next owner worry about that. [of course without some photos this is my first thought...perhaps the damage can be fixed??]

There are a number of good sites to use to sell the car...

Steves Nova Site
Team Nova [and their sister sites for Camaros and Chevelles]
Cars On Line
Collector Car Nation
Hemmings
Yenko site
local craigslist is up to you...

more photos and info will help us give you advice on pricing and a course of action...

and as others have said...thanks for your service!! :usa:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts