Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
6,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my latest find and purchase (I think I've become an addict :yes: ).

Pictures Attached

Year: 1968

Model: Chevy II

Mileage: 24,150

Engine: Stock

Body/Exterior: Stock

Front End: Original

Transmission: Original

Rear End: Original

Interior: Original

Electrical: Original except for radio but this will be removed

Accessories/Options: None

Additional Comments: I pretty much came across this one by accident.

Here's the shortened story:
Last year I needed to have the roof on my house replaced so I talk with my Hot Rod neighbor and he turns me onto the guy that did his roof. The roofer ends up replacing my roof as well as my parents and life went on.
I then get a phone call out of the blue about a month and a half or so from the roofer saying I need to buy a car his neighbor has so I ask what's so special about it that I have to buy it and he tells me the car has 15,000 miles, has real nice paint with no dings, dents, or scratches, the trim has no dings, and also has a really clean interior. I start to think, is this guy really describing the car or is he thinking it's nice but in reality it's not so. I kind of him-haw around saying before I buy anything I need to see it and get back to me when I can go and take a look at it.
He then calls me a few days later saying it's been in storage since 2002 or so over in Illinois and the guy that owns it is going to store it closer to my house and whenever I can we can go look at it.
I set up a day to look at it and they had tried starting it but thought the fuel pump was broke so the owner located an AC/Delco pump from a better auto parts store locally and I put it on. We had to work the air out if the fuel line and finally got it running.
It's been a while since I drove a clutch car so I had the owner pull it out of the garage and into the alley so I could look it over. One thing I didn't want to do was damage it.
I open up the doors looking for signs of rust or repair work, open the trunk to check for rust or repair work, climb under the dash looking at things and open the hood to inspect things. I see things that are not right BUT I have to keep in mind it's a 44 year old car but my, oh my the more I look, the more I likey.
I end up spending at least 2 hours going over the car and the owner then asks what I think and I give him my opinion of the car as to what it right and what is not. I come up with a number in my head as an offer and at this point I'm thinking will he take it or not. I say I think it's worth X amount and he goes, I agree. He said would you like to drive it home and I said not until I pay you for it and have the title in hand.
A few weeks later I go and get the car to bring it home and it drove just fine with no surprises.
The plan for the car (as well as a verbal agreement with the sale of the car) is to not modify it or cut it up. The next step is to put it into storage after documenting things and then when time allows fine tune things on it.
It's not a perfect car but I didn't spend that kind of money on it. What I did get was a VERY solid car to work with. Yes, the aftermarket radio will get replaced with an original one, the antenna mast will get replaced, original style trim rings will be installed on the wheels, as well as some other minor things corrected.

Some more pictures:

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums...evrolet Chevy 2 Nova/DSC00246_zps7b7085e0.jpg

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums...evrolet Chevy 2 Nova/DSC00265_zps05b423f8.jpg

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums...evrolet Chevy 2 Nova/DSC00225_zpsf91e31cf.jpg

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
You are a very Lucky-Man!

I'm still waiting on a call like you got :)

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Very cool and looks to be a very nice find. I lived in Afton Mo for 4 years and sure wish I would of stumbled accross something like this then!:yes:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Man, nice score, is that color gulf green? I thought you said 15,000 the odometer reads 24,xxx. did you put almost 10,000 miles on it allready:devil:

·
Registered
26,336 Posts

1 NOVA YOU'RE A CAR GUY/ ENTHUSIAST,:rolleyes:
2 OR 3 NOVA'S YOU'RE LOOKIN' FOR TROUBLE!:eek:
4 OR MORE, IT'S OVER, SEEK
HELP! :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
They real getting a tad bit tougher to find them in Good Shape .... :yes:

Congrats on your Find ....

Keep US Posted .... :yes:

·
6,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man, nice score, is that color gulf green? I thought you said 15,000 the odometer reads 24,xxx. did you put almost 10,000 miles on it allready:devil:
The guy that turned me onto the car "told me" it had 15,000 miles and while there are those kind of finds out there this is why I told him I wanted to check it out. I've been on too many goose chases out of town and will only believe things when I see them.

I think I put on a whopping 4 miles on it between his garage and my house. When I first started driving it home I'm thinking will the brakes work, will the clutch work, will the engine keep running, and so on but it ran like a champ all the way home. It's a shame the weather has turned sour or I would be putting a few miles on it.

Jim

·
Registered
929 Posts
The guy that turned me onto the car "told me" it had 15,000 miles and while there are those kind of finds out there this is why I told him I wanted to check it out. I've been on too many goose chases out of town and will only believe things when I see them.

I think I put on a whopping 4 miles on it between his garage and my house. When I first started driving it home I'm thinking will the brakes work, will the clutch work, will the engine keep running, and so on but it ran like a champ all the way home. It's a shame the weather has turned sour or I would be putting a few miles on it.

Jim
HAHAHA, your not suppose to listen to the little voices, just enjoy the ride:yes:weather has been chilly here.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts