Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
68 Fan Shroud & radiator support question

I havn't seen anything about the fan shrouds being different on this thread. I need a 68 small block shroud and radiator support and recently I've seen pictures of supports that are different than what is in my 68. Reproduced ones look different also. Mine does not have any offset in the vertical sides in the opening. It is a rectangular opening measuring 15.5" high and 20.75" wide. All the ones I've seen have an offset on the vertical sides. Are the shrouds different for a 6 cylinder VS small block? Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
This is a picture of my 1968 Nova 25 years ago.

It is bone stock outside except for the DS Side mirror.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I havn't seen anything about the fan shrouds being different on this thread. I need a 68 small block shroud and radiator support and recently I've seen pictures of supports that are different than what is in my 68. Reproduced ones look different also. Mine does not have any offset in the vertical sides in the opening. It is a rectangular opening measuring 15.5" high and 20.75" wide. All the ones I've seen have an offset on the vertical sides. Are the shrouds different for a 6 cylinder VS small block? Any help on this matter would be appreciated.
I sent you pictures some time ago of an original small block radiator support that a friend of mine has in Florida. I asked you if you would send me some pictures of the one you have. I never received anything from you. The small blocks are about 21 inches wide and the big blocks are 23 inches wide. The one you seen with an offset sounds like you might have seen a big block support.. If you are still looking, this one is in what I would call excelent condition.

·
Super Moderator
31,194 Posts
My 69's both have bolt in upper A arm bumpers and my 350 car has finned drums.From the way I understand it only BB cars had to get the mandatory disc brakes.
68 use a 3 spoke steering wheel
the dash and clusters are different

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Just a little ribbing here.

I Looked over the post of the many differences in the 68 Chevy II, but in my opinion, this is the most important one:

The major difference is - I HAVE ONE.

·
Super Moderator
31,194 Posts
Just a little ribbing here.

I Looked over the post of the many differences in the 68 Chevy II, but in my opinion, this is the most important one:

The major difference is - I HAVE ONE.
It's that I have 3!:eek::devil:

The steering boxes,pitman arm and frame mounts are also different.

·
Registered
701 Posts
the 68 6 cyl. did not have a fan shroud and i think
the top plate that holds the raditor in is shaped different
than the v8. also dont know if 6cyl radiator is different
than v8 but according to advance auto parts they are the
same.but have found out alot of things they say a wrong

·
Premium Member
7,407 Posts
Something I just thought of while looking for some parts is that the 68's used a very small front seatbelt retractor by each door instead of the longer ones used on 69 and later Novas. The ones on the 68 are stationary and you pull the belt out by holding the chrome buckle. The 69 and later were longer and you could lift the plastic housing then slide the belt out.

Tommy :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
thats usually the problem

Like any first year car, they have to make improvements and fix all the stuff they screwed up - glad my 69 is just that- NOT a 68 :rolleyes:
I guess I'm just kind of a 69 guy -see sig

·
Registered
133 Posts
These competition automatic transmissions were the first and only year that were available with the L-78 in the Fred Gibb group of COPO Nova's. While the automatic became available in the 69 & 70 L-78's, it was a different transmission with a different code. The Gibb Nova's were CY coded with a tighter 6 bolt converter. The automatic that the 69 & 70 L-78's had were coded CX, which became available on October 26, 1968 according to documents from GM?

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
.From the way I understand it only BB cars had to get the mandatory disc brakes.
You could get disc brake delete on any GM car. Except Corvette.
They were never mandatory.

And the frame mount locations are the same. All gen 3 Sub frames are interchangeable.

The 68 sub frame had different control arms and sub frame snub-er locations.

Al
And no one said a thing about the doors being different, the inside door lock is at the end of the door, hard to reach, so the moved it up in the 69 & later model year.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Loving going through all the old car stuff with my dad... Found the headlight bezels for my 68 SS in one of the storage grain bins at the farm tonight... Also found three more Nova fender emblems, two later headlight bezels(adjuster holes) and the original Chevrolet walnut shifter knob off dad's 71 SS. But, I see one thing on the list wrong... I thought of this when looking at a thread where someone said that the telephone handset shape thing on the door jam was 68 only. While my 68 Rally does have this on it, so does at least one of our two 72 parts cars. I could check the other one, but I imagine it is exactly the same.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts