Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
If it was on the east coast it would be sitting in my garage right now! I have everything needed to make this car whole again. Shipping costs don’t make it feasible. Groan 😩

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish I had the room in my driveway/shop. I'd by it now... Alas, I already have 6 projects... 7 would be UNLUCKY! I can hear my GF now.... WHERE THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO PUT THAT DAMN CAR?!? LOL. I love her!!

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, Cali cars are pretty special (LOL). Even the rust is limited... The rain we have here doesn't contain as much contaminants and chemicals (due to our strict CARB and CalEPA) and I honestly believe that, coupled with the fact we don't use salt on the roadways now (sand is all we use in Cali for snow and ice), the weather here doesn't cause as much damage to old metals... or new. I may go look at this car over the weekend if I can find time. Just to see it in person. I'll update if I do..

·
Registered
1963 Hardtop W.I.P.
533 Posts
I grew up in Galt, lived all over the valley. Drove the river roads many times. Lived through the 86'(?) and 95'(?) floods.
I think the blazing hot summers helped dry out those crevices the water can usually hide in, like between the floor mat and the floorpan. When cars get so hot you cant touch them, I'm guessing the water inside evaporates pretty well. That and the no salt.

In Humboldt now and even when it says there's 0% humidity, there's still humidity. Drying anything is a hassle. This summer would have been perfect to paint, weeks and week of high 70s, but alas I am no where near.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, between the friggin' heat and the smoke, I can barely get motivated to go cut steel panels and weld. I think I've been fishing three times this summer. The drought, the smoke, the heat, the people, UGH! Yaah. 0% humidity.. LOL. Not according to my weather station... My barometer is all over the place at times. I think it's confused.

I have lived here in Sac since '82, moved here from Wiemar and before that, Chicago, Ill., Glad to be here and not in Chi Town... NOOOOO thank you. Talk about humidity! And the winters... F THAT!

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She's a keeper! She can use every tool in the shop, love fishing and camping at least as much as I do, shoots a mean bow and pistol, loves 80's heavy metal, we've known each other since 1986-7 and her dad was my metal and wood shop teacher in highschool so... I already have a '70 Nova... so... I don't really need a '68 in my stable, rather have her!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
If that car was not clear across the country from Mass I'd be putting my spare 496 and 4 speed in it tomorrow, try finding something like that in Ma, you'd have to replace every piece of sheet metal. I know every part of the country has issues but here in Ma I work on 4 year old cars that I need to torch 1/2 the fasteners out of or drill and tap bolts that broke on. I have a place in SC and end up repairing cars for friends all the time, 16 year old Camry's that every bolt comes right out of, still running factory exhaust, just incredible. I bought a nice piece of land in a high traffic area and am in the process of putting up a nice little 50x90 foot shop and moving my repair operation by June 2022. I'm older than I want to be to do this but I have at least 10 more years to work so I may as well make it easy on my body. I also teach the trade to high school students and I tell them all the time to move somewhere where you don't need a torch and a huge heli-coil kit, the trade is hard enough when things go right.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wish I had a trailer and ability to broker deals across state lines.. lol. I could help keep the midwest and east coast in solid cars!
I agree, all my cars have been from Cali, NC or SC, when I got them all had arrow straight solid bodies, I know I paid more than if I bought them in NE however in the end I saved a ton of money. None needed metal work, just get the gaps perfect and strip them and re-paint them, as soon as you get into floors, quarters, extensive metal-work the price blows way past what I would have paid for shipping them to Ma. I did luck out in that all 3 were brought to Ma by someone else and they sold them within a year or so of ownership so I did not have to deal with the shipping hassle. My Nova was bought from a friend who had it shipped from Cali to Ma over 30 years ago. The car was in his finished basement (yes as a piece of art) for over 30 years when he decided to let it go, plus I nagged him for 20 years to give me first call if he ever decided to sell it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts