Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. When I was shopping for parts for my 1974 Nova, I saw a lot of parts that would only fit 1968-1972 Nova (and not 1968-1974). What happened in 1973-1974? What are the main differences between 1968-1972 and 1973-1974 Novas?

Thanks

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Hello guys. When I was shopping for parts for my 1974 Nova, I saw a lot of parts that would only fit 1968-1972 Nova (and not 1968-1974). What happened in 1973-1974? What are the main differences between 1968-1972 and 1973-1974 Novas?
Thanks
Biggggger bumpers, different doorsw/no wing window, different inner door panels, different quarter panel and quarter window, different tailpanel, different roofs, different trunk pan, some are hatchback and some are not, etc..

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Although they are still based on the 68-72 chassis & body style, 73 & 74 received a number of styling and design changes that prevent certain parts from being directly interchangeable.

One of the most obvious changes is the bumpers. To meet new (at the time) government regulations, 73 models received larger bumpers mounted farther out away from the body. In 74, reinforcement beams were added inside the bumpers and they were attached to the car with shock absorbing mounts.

The trunk floor was re-designed for 73 to accommodate the newly introduced hatchback body style and allow for a larger gas tank. Due to the larger tank and the impact absorbing bumpers, the gas filler was re-located up above the rear bumper.

The front & rear styling (grille, tail lights, tail panel, etc) were all updated to work with the above listed changes. Other styling changes include the elimination of the vent windows from the front doors and larger quarter windows (on 2-door & hatchback styles). A lot of the interior trim panels were changed over to molded plastic and the headliners were made one-piece (no longer supported by bows).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Although they are still based on the 68-72 chassis & body style, 73 & 74 received a number of styling and design changes that prevent certain parts from being directly interchangeable.

One of the most obvious changes is the bumpers. To meet new (at the time) government regulations, 73 models received larger bumpers mounted farther out away from the body. In 74, reinforcement beams were added inside the bumpers and they were attached to the car with shock absorbing mounts.

The trunk floor was re-designed for 73 to accommodate the newly introduced hatchback body style and allow for a larger gas tank. Due to the larger tank and the impact absorbing bumpers, the gas filler was re-located up above the rear bumper.

The front & rear styling (grille, tail lights, tail panel, etc) were all updated to work with the above listed changes. Other styling changes include the elimination of the vent windows from the front doors and larger quarter windows (on 2-door & hatchback styles). A lot of the interior trim panels were changed over to molded plastic and the headliners were made one-piece (no longer supported by bows).
Biggggger bumpers, different doorsw/no wing window, different inner door panels, different quarter panel and quarter window, different tailpanel, different roofs, different trunk pan, some are hatchback and some are not, etc..
Thank you very much. Are there years that were considered better than the others (objectively speaking)?

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Thank you very much. Are there years that were considered better than the others (objectively speaking)?
68 has a lot of one year parts due to key being on the dash, doors are different with the lock mechanism being further back. 69 70 had big blocks, 71-72 small block only with lower compression. 72 was only year that you could tell an ss from the vin.

73-74 not as desirable due to the bumpers and perception they are lower performance.

Really it depends on the buyer, what does he/she thinks is better. Parts for 69-72 easier to find, others less so.

A Canadian car will have documentation available. A us car may or may not.

I think a four speed is better, but that is my opinion.

Why do you ask?

Ray

·
Registered
210 Posts
1972 was basically the end of the muscle car era for the Nova. The Nova then gets the so called five mile an hour bumper and the appearance leans more towards the luxury car. The platform is much less desirable IMO after 1972 as they were no longer considered a muscle car at that point.

·
13,711 Posts
1972 was basically the end of the muscle car era for the Nova. The Nova then gets the so called five mile an hour bumper and the appearance leans more towards the luxury car. The platform is much less desirable IMO after 1972 as they were no longer considered a muscle car at that point.
Interestingly, they produced more Novas in 1974 than other year in the car's history, over 390,000. 1973 wasn't far behind. More Novas were produced in 1973 and '74 than any year of the so called muscle car era of 1968-72. As with all the years of Chevy II/Nova, the vast majority of the cars produced in '73 and '74 were not muscle cars, but economy cars and family sedans. High insurance rates and the perceived gas crisis had a lot to do with the record sales.

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How hard it is to "tuck" the front and rear bumper? From what I understand, it would be easier than swapping the front and rear bumper with one from 1968-72.

This guys said he tucked his bumpers and I like the results.

How hard it is to do it? Do I need specials parts? Can I just go to my body shop and show them the pictures, or do I need to know something special about this job? (sorry for my english by the way, hope it is understandable).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Interestingly, they produced more Novas in 1974 than other year in the car's history, over 390,000. 1973 wasn't far behind. More Novas were produced in 1973 and '74 than any year of the so called muscle car era of 1968-72. As with all the years of Chevy II/Nova, the vast majority of the cars produced in '73 and '74 were not muscle cars, but economy cars and family sedans. High insurance rates and the perceived gas crisis had a lot to do with the record sales.

Bob
Hi Bob, I guess I should have said IMO the Nova is less desirable by us modern collectors after 1972. When GM put the horseshoe shaped bumper with the license plate in it and the turn signals in the grill was when the Nova lost most of it's appeal for me.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
How hard it is to "tuck" the front and rear bumper? From what I understand, it would be easier than swapping the front and rear bumper with one from 1968-72.

How hard it is to do it? Do I need specials parts? Can I just go to my body shop and show them the pictures, or do I need to know something special about this job? (sorry for my english by the way, hope it is understandable).
That front bumper is from a 72 or earlier Nova, only the rear one is original. Car does look good, only way I would do one myself. Chip Foose would have a field day cutting up those big bumpers. :yes::yes::yes::D

·
Registered
3,233 Posts

The rear bumper swap is a lot tougher to do than the front. It requires tail panel surgery as well as gas filler neck relocation. The front swap is easier.

MBCKY2 on here and me have modified our bumpers and documented it in our build threads. MBCKY2 put a 68-72 bumper on the back of his and modified everything to make it work. I took the original 73-74 bumpers and cut them up and welded them together.

Easiest thing to do is to tuck the existing 73-74 bumpers in, which requires ditching the giant hyd shocks and making new/modifiying mounts in 74. The only issue to me is then the sides of the bumper are too long and have a giant gap to the body.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts