Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have pics of the push pull style switch going through the reverse light and pics of how it is mounted in the trunk.

Also pics of the battery mounted to the floor. There is a crease in the center of the wheel well that will not allow the battery tray to lay flat. And I don't think there is enough room to the left of it. I took a couple pics.

I am about to start my battery relocation and so far dreading it. I am sure I will have more questions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Anyone have pics of the push pull style switch going through the reverse light and pics of how it is mounted in the trunk.

Also pics of the battery mounted to the floor. There is a crease in the center of the wheel well that will not allow the battery tray to lay flat. And I don't think there is enough room to the left of it. I took a couple pics.

I am about to start my battery relocation and so far dreading it. I am sure I will have more questions.

Thanks!
Ace Hardware has a good assortment of different size spacers, I needed 1/8 ones between the tray and floor to even it., you can usually find the size that corresponds with the bolt your using so they look like they belong there. I'm not sure what switch your talking about on your car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect, great idea! Thank you. Did you fabricate your tray or purchase one online?

I have a flaming river push/pull style shut off switch. I like how it looks going through the reverse light but there is around 3-3 1/2" from the switch bracket to the floor. Trying to figure out how to mount it.

I don't weld and not much of a fabricator lol but I'm trying to do everything myself.

·
6,502 Posts
Years ago I could not weld and luckily my Dad had bought me an old erector set (which I still have) and it is full of pieces of steel that have holes punched into them and can be nut and bolted together to form things. With this set when I was young could make a lot of different things with it.

What you could do without welding is get some steel (flat, angle, plate, square, whatever) and cut, bend, drill, and attach the different sections together to be able to bolt it into the car either using existing holes or ones you make. This is where your imagination will come into play. One idea may work, another may not, one might be solid when done, another might need some additional support and work. You just have to try and see what happens.

On my 73, years ago I drilled a lot of holes in things and have now wished I didn't do that but now that I have gotten better and can weld, those holes now could be filled and new brackets could be welded in so until you get to the point of getting a welder and being able to use it, nut and bolting things together can work.

As far as the switch you want it mounted solidly and then also get the booties that cover over the studs and electrical connections so nothing is exposed. The same for any connections elsewhere like on the battery itself.

As far as the battery, maybe think about an enclosure which may be easier to mount or fabricate brackets off of it to hold it in place to put the battery in. Stay away from the marine plastic battery boxes and get one that one can add or have in place a spot to connect a vent tube to. The battery you show can indeed vent fumes if there is an internal issue with the battery and those fumes need to be directed to the exterior of the car through a vent tube.

Jim

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Years ago I could not weld and luckily my Dad had bought me an old erector set (which I still have) and it is full of pieces of steel that have holes punched into them and can be nut and bolted together to form things. With this set when I was young could make a lot of different things with it.

What you could do without welding is get some steel (flat, angle, plate, square, whatever) and cut, bend, drill, and attach the different sections together to be able to bolt it into the car either using existing holes or ones you make. This is where your imagination will come into play. One idea may work, another may not, one might be solid when done, another might need some additional support and work. You just have to try and see what happens.

On my 73, years ago I drilled a lot of holes in things and have now wished I didn't do that but now that I have gotten better and can weld, those holes now could be filled and new brackets could be welded in so until you get to the point of getting a welder and being able to use it, nut and bolting things together can work.

As far as the switch you want it mounted solidly and then also get the booties that cover over the studs and electrical connections so nothing is exposed. The same for any connections elsewhere like on the battery itself.

As far as the battery, maybe think about an enclosure which may be easier to mount or fabricate brackets off of it to hold it in place to put the battery in. Stay away from the marine plastic battery boxes and get one that one can add or have in place a spot to connect a vent tube to. The battery you show can indeed vent fumes if there is an internal issue with the battery and those fumes need to be directed to the exterior of the car through a vent tube.

Jim
Thank you!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts