Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car looks good, but you can't always count on pictures for the true story. It's a sport coupe with a '67 SS interior. Missing the sport coupe side trim and has incorrect SS chrome wheel opening trim. The 283 is dressed up like an L79:rolleyes:. Check the chrome 4 speed chrome trim ring peaking out under the console. No cowl tag or VIN pictures. Appears to be a little cobbled together for 40K. Comments.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Chevr...fee51a4e:g:sDUAAOSw0TBcN3wN:rk:2:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
This car looks good, but you can't always count on pictures for the true story. It's a sport coupe with a '67 SS interior. Missing the sport coupe side trim and has incorrect SS chrome wheel opening trim. The 283 is dressed up like an L79:rolleyes:.
It is a nice looking '67. As far as I'm concerned, a 283 in a 1st or 2nd gen Nova should have adequate grunt for a cruiser. I drove my car around for a good while with a spare 283 for power.

Check the chrome 4 speed chrome trim ring peaking out under the console. No cowl tag or VIN pictures. Appears to be a little cobbled together for 40K.
I would have definitely either painted the trim ring for the bench seat shifter or covered it with carpet. $40K is a stretch, but then again, it's a dealer - so you have to expect some mark-up.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Wheel opening moldings incorrect?

I didn't know there was a difference between the sport coupe and the SS wheel opening moldings. Please educate me. I want to learn!

·
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't know there was a difference between the sport coupe and the SS wheel opening moldings. Please educate me. I want to learn!
Super Sports had chrome trim around the front and rear wheel openings. Sports Coupes did not.

B.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Check the chrome 4 speed chrome trim ring peaking out under the console.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Hey Bob, correct me if I'm wrong but regardless if the car is a SS, Sport Coupe, 2dr sedan, Station wagon, or 100 Series. Aren't all 4 spd boots supposed to be held directly to the metal floor Hump with a black metal ring. at no time should carpet or vinyl be under the metal ring? Then if the car is an SS the carpet goes under the Console, or in a Sport Coupe there is a vinyl ring stapled to the carpet and it lays on top of the metal ring. Not sure about vinyl floor cars but I would think the would have a vinyl ring staple to the vinyl floor also.
Just thought i would bring it up. I have seen over and over where the carpet gets put under the 4spd ring.

thanks for posting this Bob.

Bill

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
You've got to wonder how well the clutch works with that bell housing...

·
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check the chrome 4 speed chrome trim ring peaking out under the console.

Bob
Hey Bob, correct me if I'm wrong but regardless if the car is a SS, Sport Coupe, 2dr sedan, Station wagon, or 100 Series. Aren't all 4 spd boots supposed to be held directly to the metal floor Hump with a black metal ring. at no time should carpet or vinyl be under the metal ring? Then if the car is an SS the carpet goes under the Console, or in a Sport Coupe there is a vinyl ring stapled to the carpet and it lays on top of the metal ring. Not sure about vinyl floor cars but I would think the would have a vinyl ring staple to the vinyl floor also.
Just thought i would bring it up. I have seen over and over where the carpet gets put under the 4spd ring.

thanks for posting this Bob.

Bill[/QUOTE]

You're correct, Bill. In fact, the 1967 showroom brochure shows a sport coupe with a 4 speed and the black vinyl ring. If this car was an original 4 speed there would have been no chrome ring.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
Nice car but so many things mixed strangely together. Could have been a 6 cylinder car. Someone spent a lot of money on the 12 bolt and L79 pieces on the engine.

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
You've got to wonder how well the clutch works with that bell housing...
Such a good question. Nothing worse than clutch linkage that doesn't work right. My car had a cast iron bellhousing from a '61 Chevy with cobbled up linkage when I got it:eek:.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
So enlighten me guys what is wrong with the bell housing
It's a 'regular' Chevrolet bell housing (could have come from anything EXCEPT a 1st or 2nd generation Chevy II/Nova). Looking directly at the back of this bell-housing, the clutch fork is at a "9 o'clock" position. 1st and 2nd generation Chevy II/Novas had special bell-housings with the clutch fork at "7 o'clock". This was done so the actuating rod could clear the (spin-on) oil filter. This special clutch linkage, combined with the height of the lower sub-frame rail (in relation to the motor mounts), is also the reason that the clutch ball on the side of a Chevy II block is located at a slightly different spot than any other SBC.

·
Registered
66 Nova SS
3,631 Posts
It's a 'regular' Chevrolet bell housing (could have come from anything EXCEPT a 1st or 2nd generation Chevy II/Nova). Looking directly at the back of this bell-housing, the clutch fork is at a "9 o'clock" position. 1st and 2nd generation Chevy II/Novas had special bell-housings with the clutch fork at "7 o'clock". This was done so the actuating rod could clear the (spin-on) oil filter. This special clutch linkage, combined with the height of the lower sub-frame rail (in relation to the motor mounts), is also the reason that the clutch ball on the side of a Chevy II block is located at a slightly different spot than any other SBC.
Thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts