Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I'm trying to remove the column from my 67 Nova sports coupe. And I'm struggling BIG TIME. I removed the steering wheel, released all the bolts inside the car and loosened the bolt between the column and steering box.

Questions do I have to remove the bracket at the bottom of the column (inside engine compartment) and how do i separate the column from the steering box. Do i need to use a ball joint splitter?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Hi there

I'm trying to remove the column from my 67 Nova sports coupe. And I'm struggling BIG TIME. I removed the steering wheel, released all the bolts inside the car and loosened the bolt between the column and steering box.

Questions do I have to remove the bracket at the bottom of the column (inside engine compartment) and how do i separate the column from the steering box. Do i need to use a ball joint splitter?

Thanks for all your help.
you need to loosen the colum support bracket at the fire wall the colum will come out with the shaft staying connected

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
You mentioned that you loosened the bolt between the column and the steering box...this bolt needs to be removed. It sits in a groove on the steering box shaft to keep the steering shaft from sliding off. You can take a big screwdriver and spread the end of the steering column shaft where the bolt and clamp sit once they are removed to help get the column off.

Also, my car was originally from New York (Lots-O-Rust) and I had to use a ball joint separator (BJS) to get the shaft off. Once I had moved the shaft to the limit of the BJS, I placed a block of steel against the body of the gear box and started over with the BJS. This was a tedious process and I ended up damaging the end of the steering column shaft. It had to be replaced. I also ended up replacing my steering box, because it was wore out not because I damaged it. Since this job is such a pain you may want to consider replacing the box while you have the column out if it is the original. They sell reman boxes through several places.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thank you both for your swift response. I take heart in the fact you describe it as a 'pain' which I certainly agree!

I had the bottom bracket removed inside the car but it was the brakes that has the two metal pieces attached which I was wondering if they need to be removed. Thanks for the tip about removing the bolt. I never considered that it might have a slot.

I'll remove the bolt and try and give it some gentle persuasion. As a weekend novice I'll report back next week and tell you if I had success

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Get a big screw driver and prybar, it takes a bit to seperate the column from the box. Oh yeah and a big hammer!!!:yes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Watch for pinching harness wires when you re-install. You should probably replaced the firewall gasket while you're at it. Yours is probably dry rotted and it keeps out exhaust smells. Only costs a few bucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I managed to pry the shaft off the steering box splines yay! but having reinstalled it the clamp now doesn't tighten even with the nut/bolt fully pinched together. It looks like the clamp it resting on the steering box splines as opposed to the outer column shaft. What did I do wrong? Is it possible to push the steering column shaft too far up and if so how do i pull it back down. Clearly this is a job I should have undertaken!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
There should not be enough of the steering box shaft exposed for that to happen, remember the groove that the bolt in the clamp rests in...make sure the shaft is on far enough for the bolt to sit in that groove. Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
So I managed to pry the shaft off the steering box splines yay! but having reinstalled it the clamp now doesn't tighten even with the nut/bolt fully pinched together. It looks like the clamp it resting on the steering box splines as opposed to the outer column shaft. What did I do wrong? Is it possible to push the steering column shaft too far up and if so how do i pull it back down. Clearly this is a job I should have undertaken!
If the upper steering column bearing is loose,or pry bar bent it,yes it could push the steering column too far up. To fix it replace the upper steering column bearing. This would be a good time to replace the lower steering column bearing too. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
119 Posts
67 Steering Box to Column Install

I know this is an old post, but I've experienced the same problem with my 67. I used a BJS as JD128 recommended. After inserting a thick shim and re-applying the BJS, It finally separated.

I'm replacing the gearbox with a Lares quick-ratio rebuild. But I'm have a bigger problem get the new box shaft into the column. A lot of the splines on the inside of the column are chewed up, especially at the outer rim. Even the original gearbox won't go back into the column (working with the removed column and gearbox).

Any ideas ? Or a replacement column inner shaft to put into my column ?
Ron
256-679-1943

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I've experienced the same problem with my 67. I used a BJS as JD128 recommended. After inserting a thick shim and re-applying the BJS, It finally separated.

I'm replacing the gearbox with a Lares quick-ratio rebuild. But I'm have a bigger problem get the new box shaft into the column. A lot of the splines on the inside of the column are chewed up, especially at the outer rim. Even the original gearbox won't go back into the column (working with the removed column and gearbox).

Any ideas ? Or a replacement column inner shaft to put into my column ?
Ron
256-679-1943
I had this problem as I mentioned above, I used a file and cleaned up each spline one at a time until the shaft slid on and off easily. A couple weeks later the shaft started skipping a spline or two when I made a turn in a parking lot. I tightened the bolt as much as I could but the problem persisted. I ended up replacing the shaft and rebuilding the entire column.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am going to separate the column from the steering box on my 67 for CBR rack and pinion install in a few weeks. While there are a lot of good information about this here, I am starting to worry about this which I took it for really a easy job originally. I will spray good enough penetrating lube and pray for good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts