Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a 1967 nova with a early tci Mustang 2 rack and pinion with 2 inch drop spindles which size of tire on front with 15x7 inch rally wheels with 3 3/4 back space which size of tire would ft the best 205-60 15 or 205-70-15 ?

·
Registered
406 Posts
On my 64 with 2 inch drop spindles, I had 205/70-15 and they rubbed pretty bad. I went to 205/60 and they didn't rub at all. My backspace was either 4.25 or 4.5 when I had that tire size.

·
Registered
394 Posts
You didn’t say what type of front suspension or brakes you have. I’m going to assume stock. If you need answers for aftermarket suspension or brake systems then let us know. The more details you give the better answer you get.

The backspace on your wheels is not good for a Nova. With a 7 in wide wheel you need 4.75in backspace. Just about any size tire on the wheel you have will rub badly.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
a 1967 nova with a early tci Mustang 2 rack and pinion with 2 inch drop spindles which size of tire on front with 15x7 inch rally wheels with 3 3/4 back space which size of tire would ft the best 205-60 15 or 205-70-15 ?
If your TCI MII front clip is like mine the frame rails are moved inboard to allow for larger wheel and tire combinations.. In addition the axle line is set back 1/2”.
These two factors open up your front tire size options considerably.. TCI and the current CPP MII clips are basically the same design. TCI stopped producing them and CPP took up the production of it.. The TCI/CPP MII clip design is unique among the other MII clips on the market.. None of the other mfgs offset the frames like this..

Notice the offset rails kick back out at the front to factory width to accommodate the front bumper mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tire size

I'm thinkin 60 series, What size rear?
I have same rally wheels for back except rear have 4 1/4 back space and have not came up with a tire size for back either.stock rearend and not tubed,got any ideals for rear size i,m kind of thinking 205 60 15 for front that what my 68 camaro has on front so thought would take one off and put on front of nova and see the fit

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tire size

If your TCI MII front clip is like mine the frame rails are moved inboard to allow for larger wheel and tire combinations.. In addition the axle line is set back 1/2”.
These two factors open up your front tire size options considerably.. TCI and the current CPP MII clips are basically the same design. TCI stopped producing them and CPP took up the production of it.. The TCI/CPP MII clip design is unique among the other MII clips on the market.. None of the other mfgs offset the frames like this..

Notice the offset rails kick back out at the front to factory width to accommodate the front bumper mounts.

your suspension looks just like mine,so which would work best on the front on my 15/7 rally wheels with 3 3/4 back space the 205/60/15 or the 205/70/15 also i have the same wheels for the back except they have a 4 1/4 back space,what size would you recommend for the back without rubbing or bending the lips under,the rearend is stock with drum brakes and no tub,would like a good stance and probably would look better if were a little wider,I do have a 2 inch drop on front spindles

would appreciate your feed back
Rick

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You didn’t say what type of front suspension or brakes you have. I’m going to assume stock. If you need answers for aftermarket suspension or brake systems then let us know. The more details you give the better answer you get.

The backspace on your wheels is not good for a Nova. With a 7 in wide wheel you need 4.75in backspace. Just about any size tire on the wheel you have will rub badly.
IT has the early model TCI Mustang 11 rack and pen under it with 2 inch drop spindles and disc brakes

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
your suspension looks just like mine,so which would work best on the front on my 15/7 rally wheels with 3 3/4 back space the 205/60/15 or the 205/70/15 also i have the same wheels for the back except they have a 4 1/4 back space,what size would you recommend for the back without rubbing or bending the lips under,the rearend is stock with drum brakes and no tub,would like a good stance and probably would look better if were a little wider,I do have a 2 inch drop on front spindles

would appreciate your feed back
Rick
My clip has dropped spindles as well and the tires and wheels in the pic are standard 15x7 rallies 4.5” backspace 215/60/15. A 205/60/15 on the same wheel setup will be a safe size to go with and shouldn’t cause you any drama.. The rear will be a little more complicated.. If you are up for having some wheels made with more back spacing you can accommodate a good sized tire.. Potentially a 245/60/15.. I’ve been running 225/60/15 tires on a 15x7 on my ‘64 and they rub going around corners.. The ‘64 is dropped approximately 2” all around with leaf springs, stock axle width, NOT tubbed, and drum brakes..
I just swapped these rallies on with a square setup 215/60/15 tires all around

Same car, same suspension setup. Different wheel and tire combos..
Black steelies 15x7 wheels, 225/60/15 rear, 205/60/15 front
Silver rallies 15x7 wheels, 215/60/15 all around..

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tire size

My clip has dropped spindles as well and the tires and wheels in the pic are standard 15x7 rallies 4.5” backspace 215/60/15. A 205/60/15 on the same wheel setup will be a safe size to go with and shouldn’t cause you any drama.. The rear will be a little more complicated.. If you are up for having some wheels made with more back spacing you can accommodate a good sized tire.. Potentially a 245/60/15.. I’ve been running 225/60/15 tires on a 15x7 on my ‘64 and they rub going around corners.. The ‘64 is dropped approximately 2” all around with leaf springs, stock axle width, NOT tubbed, and drum brakes..
I just swapped these rallies on with a square setup 215/60/15 tires all around

Same car, same suspension setup. Different wheel and tire combos..
Black steelies 15x7 wheels, 225/60/15 rear, 205/60/15 front
Silver rallies 15x7 wheels, 215/60/15 all around..
thanks that helps i think 205/60/15 on front and 215/60/15 rear

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 66 with an early TCI front. Not sure what spindle.

Front is 235/60/15 on a 15x7 and 4" BS
Rear is 235/60/15 on a 15x7 and 4 1/8" BS

Nothing rubs but the back does have the lip trimmed a bit.

I'm going to switch to 205/60/15 for the front to give me a staggered look. If I were you those are what I would use as well. The 70 series I think might rub with your BS.

Chris

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tires

I have a 66 with an early TCI front. Not sure what spindle.

Front is 235/60/15 on a 15x7 and 4" BS
Rear is 235/60/15 on a 15x7 and 4 1/8" BS

Nothing rubs but the back does have the lip trimmed a bit.

I'm going to switch to 205/60/15 for the front to give me a staggered look. If I were you those are what I would use as well. The 70 series I think might rub with your BS.

Chris
Thanks Chris i think that is what i,m going with 205/60/15 on front

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tire size

Chris i finally decided to split the difference and went with a 205/65r/15 on the front. I thought a 70 to tall and a 60 to short since i have a drop oil pan,Now what do you think for the back with 4 1/8 back space rally wheels without trimming the lips and not rub a 225/65r/15 or 215/65r/15

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
tire size

thanks that helps i think 205/60/15 on front and 215/60/15 rear

finally decided to split the difference and went with a 205/65r/15 on the front. I thought a 70 to tall and a 60 to short since i have a drop oil pan,Now what do you think for the back with 4 1/8 back space rally wheels without trimming the lips and not rub a 225/65r/15 or 215/65r/15

Also do you know what studs they used on the early tcs mustang 2 disc,I have centerlines now on it with chrome lug nuts but with rallys i have to use regular nuts,i have some regular chevy nuts that were spares for my Camaro but they will not fit the studs on the mustang 2

Also do you know what studs they used on the early tcs mustang 2 disc,I have centerlines now on it with chrome lug nuts but with rallys i have to use regular nuts,i have some regular chevy nuts that were spares for my Camaro but they will not fit the studs on the mustang 2 .

One other thing are you running 4 speed or auto,and what type headers did you use with your early mustang 2 suspension TCI long headers or sanderson short hugger headers

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
headers

also Chris are you running 4 speed or auto and are you using the tci long headers or anderson short hugger headers

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chris i finally decided to split the difference and went with a 205/65r/15 on the front. I thought a 70 to tall and a 60 to short since i have a drop oil pan,Now what do you think for the back with 4 1/8 back space rally wheels without trimming the lips and not rub a 225/65r/15 or 215/65r/15

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Also do you know what studs they used on the early tcs mustang 2 disc,I have centerlines now on it with chrome lug nuts but with rallys i have to use regular nuts,i have some regular chevy nuts that were spares for my Camaro but they will not fit the studs on the mustang 2 .

One other thing are you running 4 speed or auto,and what type headers did you use with your early mustang 2 suspension TCI long headers or sanderson short hugger header

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow, sorry for the delay. I thought I had alerts turned on but I guess I didn't.

For the studs I have 1/2 inch.

I didn't build the car, so not 100% sure, but they are a long tube and not a block hugger style. Hope that helps you.

My car has a 4L60E with an aluminum pan on it. With the shorter tires I don't have any ground clearance issues at all.

Chris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts