Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1966 SS coded "WA". It appears the bottom of the car is Chateu Slate and the top black. Is there a chrome strip where the color break is? Anyone have pic's? I have only seen vinyl tops. Car is in primer now.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder how the strips attach. Maybe gets pinched under the window and door weatherstrips...Is the underside of the hood, firewall, inner fenders the same black? The dash appears to be (2) shades of black as well. The top and bottom of the doors look to be gloss black...Is there paint codes for all?
The only silver looks like main body and under decklid..correct?

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
If you still have original 1/4's, there will be 3 little studs (similar to the studs that attatch the clips for the back window trim. There was 3 plastic attatching clips that fit inside the chrome strips. They are totally independent of any other chrome pieces...... ie: a separate piece.

N

·
0 Posts
They did paint cars two tone ( had proper code on firewall tag), and I had one ,but it had no moldings and was white with a red top . I do have a set of those moldings , let me know if you need them . Frank

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Can of Worms

Well, now you've gone & opened a new can of worms Frank!!! All cars I am aware of, whether they had a two-tone paint or Vinyl top, had the D99 Molding. Alot of the 67's had them as that was the last year Canada made the Chevy II. Alot of stuff just got put onto non customer ordered cars just to get rid of the parts!!! My 67 said "D99 Molding : In Preparation for 2-tone Paint or Vinyl Roof Cars"??? All cars with paint codes different indicates upper & lower body colors are different!! And Dave, yes 2-tone cars were available!!! Check out Nova Resource!!
http://www.novaresource.org/rpo1.htm

Bogie

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Interesting Bogie/Frank. Well then that explains why my old friend Norm back in Memphis had a butternut yellow 67 SS 327 car with a black painted top. Black with white stripe interior. He said it was original code but really paid no attention to it. He did not have a moulding between the two colors. Humm... :rolleyes: :D :beer:

·
13,685 Posts
The options list of the 1966 Canadian Chevy II Order Codes book says this:

D99 Two Tone Paint Moulding - Body Style '37' only - Mandatory with two tones.

So, you had to have the D99 option if you ordered a 2 tone SS or Sport Coupe. Does this mean 2 tone sedans didn't have to have them? It says nothing about vinyl roofs. In fact, there isn't an RPO C08 vinyl roof option listed. Maybe none in Canada for 1966? Could be another one of the differences between U.S. and Canadian cars. There were only 605 factory vinyl roofs in the U.S. in 1966. There's also the possibility some of the two tone cars were repainted single tone and had the trim removed. Later, if they were returned to original the trim could have been missing.
Bob

N

·
0 Posts
The car I had was a 2dr ht non ss , and it didn't have the moldings , and had the code for two tone on the tag . The car is now marina blue and an Acadian !!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
My '66 Acadian has a vinyl top and there are the rear D99 trim as well as a small trim at the base of the front pillars.
My cowl just said code F and the vinyl top or D99 wasn't on my GM info but when I removed the top it was obvious it is original (and the second '66 Canso I've had that had a vinyl top and it was originally sold at the same dealer "Trapp Motors").

N

·
0 Posts
even the gurus need a bit of an eye opener every now and then . It seems there are so many things with these cars that are not set in stone , and that is why this web site is good and informative , Frank

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies...
I will have more questions as my restoration moves along. I would assume the top is the normal GM gloss black from what it looks like on the rear window frame. I dont see any indication that there was a moulding there.
Any idea on production numbers, guess its a rare car.

·
13,685 Posts
66_Canso said:
My '66 Acadian has a vinyl top and there are the rear D99 trim as well as a small trim at the base of the front pillars.
My cowl just said code F and the vinyl top or D99 wasn't on my GM info but when I removed the top it was obvious it is original (and the second '66 Canso I've had that had a vinyl top and it was originally sold at the same dealer "Trapp Motors").
Dan, any chance those tops were installed at Trapps? Being an option, the top would almost certainly be on the GM documentation, unless it was a dealer install. Also the D99.
There is no mention of vinyl top options in either the 1966 Acadian or Canadian Chevy II brochure. It does mention 2 tone paint for 1966 Acadians, but nothing for Chevy IIs, even though the Chevy II Order Codes book lists them. There is nothing in the Canadian 67 Chevy II brochure about vinyl tops, either. The almost identical U.S. brochure, which has 3 more pages than Canada's, mentions vinyl tops in black and biege and has a picture of a red SS with black vinyl top and D99 trim.
It also appears you could have any 2 tone combo you wanted in Canada. There were eight designated combos in the U.S. Frank's red over white wasn't a U.S. offering.
I know you can't count on dealer brochures for accuracy because of mid year additions/deletions, etc. Sometimes they even brought out amended brochures during the production year.
Bob

·
13,685 Posts
mrhorspower said:
Thanks for all the replies...
I will have more questions as my restoration moves along. I would assume the top is the normal GM gloss black from what it looks like on the rear window frame. I dont see any indication that there was a moulding there.
Any idea on production numbers, guess its a rare car.
In 1966 Chateau Slate was a color reserved for SS cars only in the U.S. It wasn't very popular and is said to have been discontinued before the end of the year. A Chateau Slate SS with a black top would be very rare and you have the cowl tag designation to prove it's correct. Unfortunately, they didn't keep numbers by color.
Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
1966 SS two tone

I have a 1966 chevy II SS two tone WA paint code car. Does anyone know if the A pillars are painted black? Are there any pictures of a painted two tone 1966 chevy?

·
13,685 Posts
You have a rare color combo on your SS. The A pillar is roof color on 2 tones. You might google '2 tone Chevy IIs' to see if you can come up with pictures. There was a 2 tone '67 SS on eBay a couple of years ago..Granada Gold with beige top.

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts