Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Newb to the site. I tried doing a search but only found old threads where links to buy repop stuff are all dead. Ive owned this car for 25 years and always hated the hurst shifter and boot bolted to the tunnel with a big square gaping hole in the console. Anybody know where to buy the complete set up? Also, Im putting in a tremec 5sp so not sure if that will work. I did a tremec years back on my 1966 corvette and the oem handle bolted right up.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Since your putting in a tremec you might consider using an automatic console for the shifter on top.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the manaul SS console so I would really like to stick with that if I could. On the automatic console idea Im not sure what your talking about it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The manual console is for a side shift. The auto has the shift cutout on top for a the tremec.
1A7D0314-DD26-4820-AF43-9798F8E51CCD.jpeg

·
Registered
374 Posts
This is the center consul for an automatic in my 67. I am fairly sure they were the same in 66 and 67.

1967-chevrolet-nova-ss-23.jpeg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the replies. If I'm understanding correctly my manual console won't ever work for a tremec conversion because of where the hole is in the console?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that makes sense. I did the swap on my 66 corvette a few years back and retained the stock shifter. Soooo, back to oem shifter handle. Does anybody know of repop source or do I need to start scouring the internet for the used parts lol.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I got parts to convert mine from PowerGlide to 700R from Shiftworks. Jegs also handles Shiftwork parts for price comparison.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tremec guy got back to me and said the kit comes with everything I need to use my console. What still puzzles me is he said the oem handle wont work unless it bolts up like a hurst handle Im assuming like the pic above. But my car has a hurst handle but would have come from factory with one like this

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Steve. Looks like there are a few oem handles on ebay. But have yet to see the corrugated surround looking piece. Anyone know if it would even work on a tremec if I found one? Also, my biggest issue with my current hurst set up is the big hole in the console opening. Has anybody seen a way to close that hole to give it a more finished look if I can't make the oem set up work?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Depending on the size and shape of the opening there are rubber boots available or you can have a leather boot made to fit. See my photo above.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes thanks looked at your pic more closely. Nice looking setup.
Silver Sport Transmission makes what they call the "perfect fit" tremec conversion for your 4 speed console but it's pricey. From what I have seen the adapter and the OEM Muncie style shifter won't fit under your slider. might be worth a phone call to Silver Sport they would know for sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tremec guy got back to me and said the kit comes with everything I need to use my console. What still puzzles me is he said the oem handle wont work unless it bolts up like a hurst handle Im assuming like the pic above. But my car has a hurst handle but would have come from factory with one like this View attachment 403535
Take a look at 4speed conversions.com this might be what your looking for. The link should take you to the shifter Pic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts