Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this forum on a search so I thought I would join. Here is my build. Mike is doing the construction and engineering.

By pure lightning strike luck Mike found this car:

The Victim.jpg

Hindend:

Nova Hindend.jpg

On the table:

Nova on the table.jpg

DSE Front end stuff:

Starboard  Front Detroit Speed Suspension.jpg

Frame rails from the front stub connectors to the rear valence to mount the TCI 2 link Torque Arm rear suspension to and to stiffen up the chassis:

Frame Rails Attached To Front Stub Strut View.jpg

The Cabin:

Frame Rails Cabin View.jpg

The trunk view:

Frame Rails Trunk  View.jpg

I have many more pictures and the build is coming along well.

If any one needs the complete front stock original suspension-inner panels and core support with disk brakes, a 10 bolt rear end narrowed to fit with disk brakes and master cylinder and nice aluminum wheels and tires pictured on first picture of car they are for sale very reasonable. previous owner rebuilt front suspension and added the brakes and wheels and tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More In-depth Pictures of Build to this Point

Here are more pictures of the specifics of my build to this point.

My friend Mike is doing the actual thinking designing and construction of my 1966 Nova SS build. here we go:

The Nova on the table:

Nova on the table.jpg

DSE Suspension mocked up

Port  Front Detroit Speed Suspension.jpg

Jig on table to create hard points for mounting TCI 2 link torque arm rear suspension

jig for the outer 3 link.jpg

Mike machined this bullet motor mount

Aft Motor Mount and Bushing View.jpg

A completed fabricated rear frame rail

Finished frame Rail.jpg

both motor mounts and a chunk they were whittled from

Pair of Motor Mounts.jpg

A/C bracket

AC Bracket.jpg

A/C bracket and motor mount installed

AC Bracket Sanden Compressor Mounted another view.jpg

The bracket for the TCI torque arm mount and a view of the transmission cross member

Brackets all Welded and Installed.jpg

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
when you work on a nova you dont play around. keep an eye on those short pieces of trim in front of the front tires. i'm thinking they are hard to find replacements.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some details of torque arm crossmember brackets

Here are some pictures of the TCI Torque Arm crossmember brackets. We went with weld in hard points based off the welded in frame rails rather than use the bolt in mounting points. You can also see the fabricated transmission crossmember.

Mike said "Here is one side of the torque arm crossmember mounting brackets. I used a piece of tubing on the bench so i didnt have to crawl under the car to do this. They will be welded together here then slipped on the frame rail and welded in place where the jig is at under the car. They might look a little funny but they will get the job done. And then some."

Bracket Fabbing.jpg

More Bracket Fabbing.jpg

Ta Da Bracket Goodness.jpg

Another Brackets all Welded and Installed.jpg

Brackets all Welded and Installed.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rear Cross Member and Suspension Mounting Points Jig

Here are the frame rails installed and these pictures are of the rear suspension shock and panhard bar mounting crossmember that will be welded in between the frame rails.

A jig for coil overs and the panhard bar was fabricated off of the TCI bolt in crossmember and indexed to the build table for locating the mounting points on the weld in crossmember.

Rear Spring-Shock Mount Jig Against Factory cross Member Mount.jpg

Frame Rails Trunk  View.jpg

Rear Cross Member Port Side Bracket.jpg

Rear Cross Member Port Side Bracket Tig Welded.jpg

Rear Cross Member Starboard side.jpg

Rear Cross Member Starboard Side Bracket.jpg

Rear Cross Member Starboard Side Bracket Tig Welded up.jpg

Rear Cross Member Track Bar Adjustabilty.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Here are the frame rails installed and these pictures are of the rear suspension shock and panhard bar mounting crossmember that will be welded in between the frame rails.

A jig for coil overs and the panhard bar was fabricated off of the TCI bolt in crossmember and indexed to the build table for locating the mounting points on the weld in crossmember.

View attachment 362199

View attachment 362201

View attachment 362203

View attachment 362205

View attachment 362207

View attachment 362209

View attachment 362211

View attachment 362213

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some pictures of progress made this weekend!

Mike Said ”Notice all of the rust and sand that is sitting on the frame table. This was all fished out of the rockers. The rocker panels will definately need to be replaced. The area of the inner rocker i am replacing will facilitate forward progress in the chassis fabricating. As discussed, the body work will be addressed in a different stage of your build.

Mike said “Notice in the 2 bottom pics that the old leaf spring mount that was cut out is sitting on each side of the table under the area that was repaired. Gives you a better idea of the work going into your car, and how much better of a machine it will be when compared to using the old sheetmetal mounts and other things that will get replaced along the way. I should have kept track of the number of spot welds that had let go over time. Imagine how many old cars are on the road that are held together by just a handful of spotwelds!”

Now for the process of the rear suspension mounting stubs:

Mike said “Notice how well the 2x3 tube fits in this space and is contoured to the floor. Its all about the fit up! Last pic shows the bulkhead added for fuel and brake lines to pass through.”

The Brackets welded to the stubs.

More pics to come
12-1-19 Port Side Inner Rocker Panel.jpg
12-1-19 Starboard Side Inner Rocker Panel.jpg
12-1-19 Starboard Side Inner Rocker Panel replacement panel.jpg
12-1-19 Port Side Inner Rocker Panel replacement panel.jpg
12-2-19 Port Side Frame Stub.jpg
12-2-19 Starboard Side Frame Stub.jpg
12-2-19 welded Up Side Frame Stubs.jpg
12-2-19 welded Up Side Frame Stubs sexy view.jpg
12-2-19 Starboard Side Frame Stub sexy view.jpg

View attachment 362199

View attachment 362201

View attachment 362203

View attachment 362205

View attachment 362207

View attachment 362209

View attachment 362211

View attachment 362213

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More pics of the rear stubs and brackets.

The brackets doing what they do best!

Mike Said “Last 3 pics notice the small tab/ear that is bolted to the inboard side of the mount. This will get welded to the frame rails after the crossmember gets finish welded in. Should be nice and strong”

Mike said”Hung the rear axle housing today for a test fit. Everything looks good so far”

The rear suspension hung!

More pics coming shortly!

Cheers!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wheel House and Trunk work
Here's a pic of the DSE inner wheel house cleco'ed and vice gripped in place.
The second pic is a fabricated panel, it has issues so we will try again.
The third pic is the underside view of the panel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is some more progress on my build.

These are the lower arm suspension mounting points to be welded into the car for the TCI Torque arm rear suspension.

Starboard bracket in place:

Port side:

Rear suspension mounted in place:

B-Forged Wheels arrived!

Did lots of bangin and whittlin in the trunk:

Makin the fuel tank:

I have many more pictures of the process, I am getting the feel of the new site layout. Let me know if you want to see more pics per step of the fabrication.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Completed Trunk Panels

Trunk Panel Layout:

Fuel Tank In Place:

Fuel Tank Bracket:

Nut Zert Tool:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Can you tell me what guage sheetmetal you are using on the floor panels? Do you have any tips on the beadrolling? It looks like you may be a tin knocker by trade. I just have one of the small manual beadrollers and this will be my first attempt.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts