Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any info on a 66 nova SS conversion from a powerglide to a 4 speed manual.

I want the factory appearance with the console shifter.

Appreceate any help!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
a place to look is shiftworks.com might help you some. i did a change from a 2 speed auto to a 4 speed auto an they had all the parts i needed. i know you said manual but they may be of a help on shifters. also got the hump to mount the shifter from classic ind. i installed an original 66 floor shifter an console.

·
Super Moderator
4,012 Posts
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293562

This is a great post from a thread from some time ago. In it, 6T6Nova lays out ALL the parts you are going to need to do the conversion on a '62-'67 Nova, with shifter stick and consoles being the only differences. Took some time to compile this list I'm sure, so it's a good starting point for people that want to do a conversion and guesstimate costs.

·
Registered
180 Posts
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293562

This is a great post from a thread from some time ago. In it, 6T6Nova lays out ALL the parts you are going to need to do the conversion on a '62-'67 Nova, with shifter stick and consoles being the only differences. Took some time to compile this list I'm sure, so it's a good starting point for people that want to do a conversion and guesstimate costs.
I'm surprised I didn't run across that thread while I was doing my swap.

I have a factory 3 speed car that I had and auto in and was going to a Muncie.

I'm sure that post has plenty more details but a couple "gatcha's" from my swap that might help...

• Engine block has to be a nova block for the Z bar that actuates the clutch fork to mount. That or you need to get an adapter bracket for the block and I believe a short oil filter (don't quote me). The other and IMHO much easier option is a hydraulic throwout bearing and clutch master cylinder. (other pitfalls apply there and I can share my war stories if that's a route you're going but even in my factory 3 speed car the prospect of getting the factory mechanical clutch linkage all functional was enough to sway me to the hydraulic setup. Headers will potentially make this difficult too so hydraulic wins in my book.
  • From what I could find, the first gen nova only had one 4 speed shifter handle, and linkage. Didn't matter console or no console, bench or bucket, SS or not. The stick is easy enough to find, I can look up the part number for mine. The linkage is "easy" to find but I ended up having to modify the levers that mount on the transmission to work with the later style selector forks. I don't know if there is a linkage kit that puts the "new" levers in.

Those were my two unexpected items doing this with a car that already had 3 pedals from the factory. Hopefully that helps.

hotrod

EDIT: Oh yeah, don't use some random unknown clutch and pressure plate that came with your transmission and a bunch of other parts you got unless you want to practice installing and removing transmissions... Ask me how I know... lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts