Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has knowledge of the L79 Nova fan blade and clutch?

Anyone know the part number of the blade?

Part number for the clutch?

Is it the same as any other car cross compatible and correct?

Was clutch fan used on only ac or both non and with?

Anyone have correct fan pictures?

·
Registered
360 Posts
in the assembly manual it gives 2 fan numbers and two clutch numbers. It doesn't specifically mention
L-79 and it doesn't tell which one would be used on a L-79 just states V-8

Fan 3789562
OPT 3863137

Clutch 3814137
OPT 3814560

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Steve 66,

Does OPT mean optional parts?

Looks like on the fan there is two styles by the part numbers.
Fan 3789562 is with rivets in a sort of triangle.
OPT 3863137 is with rivets in a the shape of dice #5.

Also, thanks for the pictures.

·
13,722 Posts
Steve 66,

Does OPT mean optional parts?

Looks like on the fan there is two styles by the part numbers.
Fan 3789562 is with rivets in a sort of triangle.
OPT 3863137 is with rivets in a the shape of dice #5.

Also, thanks for the pictures.
I believe OPT means it's possible that part could be installed in place of the one above. All L79s (a/c or not) had a clutch fan. Mine had fan number 3789562. I don't know the clutch number. I believe all V/8s with a/c had clutch fans, but 6 cylinders did not.

The K02 clutch fan assembly is shown on page 218 in the 1966 Chevy II assembly manual.

Bob

·
13,722 Posts
here is a link to a 66 nova SS L-79. lots of pictures, maybe some you can use for your info.

https://thebaycitymotorcompany.com/C0000289.php
As with most 'as original' cars, there are some things that are not correct with this one. The most glaring is a poorly done reproduction cowl tag that is missing info that normally would be on a Norwood tag. Be careful using cars that appear correct as a restoration guide.

Bob

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
bob,,,,i posted this nova up some months back an there was comments made about that cowl tag. with a 4th. wk of feb didn't they drill a hole on the bottom to show it had the 3 way seat bracket in the roof ?

·
13,722 Posts
bob,,,,i posted this nova up some months back an there was comments made about that cowl tag. with a 4th. wk of feb didn't they drill a hole on the bottom to show it had the 3 way seat bracket in the roof ?
Correct. These 3/16 holes were drilled in all cowl tags after February 1, 1966 to show the shoulder belt bracket was installed. This tag also has format discrepancies from real Norwood Fisher tags and has no code for the interior sheet metal color.

Bob

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
also, If you're looking for a 'Fan Clutch'

you MAY see a "stamped number on the clutch mounting flange" . (that bolts to the water-pump side).

my 69 (250 - 6 w a/c ) fan clutch has a number stamped there --- but looks like a "date number" NOT a part number.

Then, back at the 1st week of May (2019) ... I looked at a 68 Camaro ... the owner had just replaced his 'Fan & Fan clutch' . It was a stock 7 blade GM fan (3947772 & build date ... ? -68).
My point IS : I looked at the "Fan Clutch mounting Flange" and saw no numbers there ......... BUT, there was some #'s on the "inside face" of the mounting flange . Just be sure you LOOK at every area ...........
if , you have your 'old fan clutch unit' ...... IT May be there, just info.... or not.

... jim

·
13,722 Posts
I cannot say for sure this is a 1966 Chevy II L79 clutch. The Chevy II L79 wasn't the only Chevrolet vehicle to use a clutch fan. L79 Chevelles had them and 1965 L74 Chevy IIs to mention a few. Is there a number on the clutch pictured?

Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts