Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
13,678 Posts
Good stuff, Paul. There are no figures like this for Canadian L79s. Would be interesting, because the M21 wasn't an option north of the border.

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you have any information on other models with 4-speed trans? 327-275hp cars,283/220hp cars? sedans,wagons,H/T's. Just wondering since i have 2 non L-79 cars with 4-speeds in them.Thanks,chris

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
What about Saginaw transmissions? They made them...yes?

Dave
In Chevrolet's assembly line lingo, an M20 could be either a Muncie or a Saginaw. That being said, the Muncie was developed specifically for higher performance applications and >>> in my personal experience <<< I've never seen an original 1966 L79 car with a Saginaw 4-speed. Did some small number get put into L79s in 1966? I'd guess "yes" - and that it was more possible with later-in-the-year build dates. On the other hand, every 1966 L30 4-speed car that I remember from new had the Saginaw unit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trans Info

Interesting Bob did not know that, no M21's in Canada?
There is also some odd info pertaining to exports and production: Following for 1966:
A17 Glass Equip-Export
B43 Underbody Equip-Export
D28 Less Rear View Mirror Export
L10 L4 Engine 153 CU IN LD for Export and more

Good stuff, Paul. There are no figures like this for Canadian L79s. Would be interesting, because the M21 wasn't an option north of the border.

Bob

·
Registered
100 Posts
3-speed Canadian L79 Nova

Bob,
I remember a member posting his GM of Canada documentation listing his 66 Nova (cannot remember if it was a SS or not) as being "1 of 169 with a M20 transmission". I believe there were 195 1966 Canadian L79's built. I always thought my 66 Canadian built Nova SS L79 was 1 of 26 3-speed cars built.
Do you agree with these numbers?

Thanks,
Jerry in KY

·
13,678 Posts
I don't remember that, Jerry.

There were 195 L79 Chevy IIs produced in Canada and 63 Acadians. I have no figures on 3 speeds, but 26 sounds reasonable. There were no L30s in Canada in 1966. They jumped from the 195HP/283 (no 220 HP, either) directly to the L79. Three speed and M20 4 speed manuals only for L79s.

No factory a/c or heater delete options in Canadian Chevy IIs or Acadians, either.

I'm bundled up in Palm Desert, California right now, so haven't got all my info. It hasn't come close to 80F here since November. Lucky to hit 60F these days. Torrential rain and flooding last Thursday. Even the locals are scratching their heads.

Bob

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trans Info

Interesting Bob did not know that, no M21's in Canada?
There is also some odd info pertaining to exports and production: Following for 1966:
A17 Glass Equip-Export
B43 Underbody Equip-Export
D28 Less Rear View Mirror Export
L10 L4 Engine 153 CU IN LD for Export and more

Bob

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Now I’m curious if these number exist for 65 SS cars? I have a 65 SS 283 3 speed car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Breakdown

Engine and trans are not specific to a Nova model, i.e. just will shows engine and trans combination but not std nova or SS nova etc. 283 shows 2BBL or 4BBL?

·
Registered
599 Posts
In Chevrolet's assembly line lingo, an M20 could be either a Muncie or a Saginaw. That being said, the Muncie was developed specifically for higher performance applications and >>> in my personal experience <<< I've never seen an original 1966 L79 car with a Saginaw 4-speed. Did some small number get put into L79s in 1966? I'd guess "yes" - and that it was more possible with later-in-the-year build dates. On the other hand, every 1966 L30 4-speed car that I remember from new had the Saginaw unit.
Good stuff Dave B. I too believe the M-20 option could either be a Muncie or a Saginaw. I believe the deciding factor was based on Hp of engine and/or rear end ratio. Availability could have also factored in there as you mentioned. I currently own a 1966 factory 283-2bbl car with a factory Muncie. It has not been on the road since the early 70's. Have not checked the rear ratio yet. Go figure? it certainly didn't get a Muncie because of the HP!

Bill

·
13,678 Posts
There is a car in the Canadian L79 Registry that is the 6th last one built at
Oshawa, Ontario. Late June build with a Muncie M20 (no M21 option in Canada). I've never heard of any 1966 L79 Chevy IIs with Saginaw 4 speeds.

You guys are correct about the 'M' designation. All the transmissions of this era were RPO 'M' something, no matter what company made them.

Bob

·
Registered
983 Posts
By '67 I think they all MT were Saginaws. Even the few L79 cars produced. I'm sure Chevrolet would rather sell you a new Camaro at that point in time if you were looking for performance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts