Chevy Nova Forum banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I decided to take the car to the upcoming GM Nationals at Carlisle next week ( June 25, 26, and 27). Some of you might have not realized this but when Tom and I took the car to MCACN, we had not put any fuel in the tank or coolant in the radiator. We just rolled the car out of the trailer, put it on G0-Jacks, and pushed the car into place at the show. Other words, we had never started the car. But this is where the story gets even better. Now considering Tom Migut took the car apart down to the smallest possible denominator and left absolutely no stone un-turned, I find what i am about to tell you as about as incredible as anything I can imagine car wise. I made sure the battery was charged, I put 5 gallons of gas in the tank, poured a little gas down the carb vent tube to fill up the front bowl, removed the t-stat housing and filled engine block with coolant, re-installed t-stat housing, then filled radiator to top of the cooling coils. I then got in the car, turned the key and ran the engine at 1800 rpms for 18 minutes. No leaks, no drips, no ignition missing issues, it just ran. Unbelievable. I didn't have to do anything. Nothing! Next day, I checked the timing and all I have to do now is pull it in the trailer and take to show. I called Tom up and I said, "do you realize I started the car and it just ran and I have nothing to fix or correct". He was like "yeah, what did you expect?". I said I was not sure but i wasn't expecting the car to just run and that's it. The clutch is even set just perfect.
Not sure about all of you but I find that real hard to believe. Is what it is. Off to Carlisle. Anyone else going to be there?

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Bill,

That is awesome! I'm so glad to here that is ran so well. Not unexpected as Tom did his homework and did it right. YES!!!!

Don't know If I'm going or not...are they having it?

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Would love to hear what it sounds like at an idle with the resonators. Hopefully you will get a video of the car running! (y)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Yes, good call. I did take a video when the cam was breaking in. I will take another video at idle and post it. Car is a lot louder than I would have thought with factory resonators.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You tube up load. Sounds muffled on a PC. Sounds much more accurate on a phone.

Sounds good. Can hear a bit of the lope. What RPM is it idling? I can't imaging how loud without the resonators. My exhaust was dumped in the 70's for fenderwell headers and glasspacks. With mine I am going with chassis headers this time but dynomax mufflers and maybe some sort of resonator. I want it quiet but need it to breath with the headers for a little fun. I won't be showing it at prestigious shows but just local car meets and cruises. I've had mine for 46 years so everyone my age knows it from back then and justs wants me to get it on the road. You have a beautiful car and worth the money and wait.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Just amazing Bill!
Great cudo's to Tom and Bill for putting together one nasty machine! Those tires in the idling shot are just too much. They must of knew they were going to put slicks on the back.

Thanks Bill for posting your car!!

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a question about the exhaust manifolds. As we know all the early rams head exhaust manifolds built for the nova and chevy ll V8 cars have a 45 degree curve up built in to the casting. As far as I have been able to research all the V8 chevy ll exhaust manifolds are 2 in. I have never seen a 2.5 in. chevy ll exhaust manifold yet you stated and pictured that your lead pipes are 2.5 in. Did you use different exhaust manifolds or just hook 2.5 in. pipe to 2 in manifolds?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Great Question. The factory head pipes are 2" right at the point they connect to the exhaust manifolds and then immediately expand to 2 1/2". See picture below. The reason the flange won't slide down any further is because the pipe is 2 1/2" at that point.

Head Pipes NOS.jpg

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
That's impressive! What octane fuel you running? Sounds awesome! How about a couple more videos while at Carlisle. Can't get enough of this great car.

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
124 Posts
Truly an amazing build and amazing history of the car that’s been documented. It’s intriguing to hear what car(s) the original owner initially set out to buy at the dealership and how he ended up with the Nova. Of course the extent to which it’s been restored is a sight to behold all it’s own. I’m glad you don’t keep it in a velvet box and never start it...it’s a piece of history and deserves to be seen and heard. I know for me and now my boys, we’ve been fortunate to grow up around hot rods and muscle cars but even then, I truly love to hear the sounds of these iconic motors as they would’ve been heard in their original form. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
nothing new to report. Was trying to post a facebook link to a picture but it says the link is no longer valid.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts