Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 60 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Should be interesting to see the point scale on finished, but as mentioned, amazing attention to detail and better than factory. Keep those foto(s) coming . . .

·
Registered
118 Posts
L79

Love all the work and research that it takes to undertake such a project. Nothing short of fanatical dedication to get it just like it rolled off of a very savvy dealership. I would like to meet you some day to see this unicorn. BTW, the one thing that caught my attention instantly was the spatter paint. Beautiful!!! Where can I get this magic formula???

·
Registered
180 Posts
I can't get enough of this thread. The pictures are amazing and it's so cool to see one of these done right.

I love the attention to the little details that make it match the way it rolled off the line back in 65...

Very impressive build and can't wait to see more pictures of it!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I can't get enough of this thread. The pictures are amazing and it's so cool to see one of these done right.

I love the attention to the little details that make it match the way it rolled off the line back in 65...

Very impressive build and can't wait to see more pictures of it!
I second that .

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
20191109_022421436_iOS.jpg
NOS Mag Wheel Covers

20191109_022443882_iOS.jpg
Tom makes these replacement press bolts from carriage bolts.

20191109_022842096_iOS.jpg
NOS GM trunk bumper

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
20191109_022457563_iOS.jpg
Tom Restored and showed this car at MCACN a couple years back-Car looks Sinister to me.

20191109_022503037_iOS.jpg
Fabricated Tail Pipes and original Resonators

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Wow, what an awesome restoration. Great story. Thanks for posting all the pictures of the L79 specific components that make this car special.

I am curious as to why aftermarket pistons were used when such great pains were made to source and install so many NOS parts. Were the original pistons unobtainable?
Great Question Buccflyer! Had no choice. Engine was required to be bored to .040 due to minor cylinder wall imperfections. Even back in the day GM only had Standard, .001, and .030 pistons available. See parts listing below. Thanks for the question.

20191108_181055595_iOS.jpg

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Fantastic machine! Can't wait to hear your driving impressions, if you intend to even drive such moveable art!

BTW, any chance you know what paint Tom used for the heater box?

Again...wow!

-Rusty
Thanks for the comments Rusty. Not sure what Tom uses to paint the heater box? I'm sure after years of trial and error he figured out exactly what color, sheen, and texture to use and its either as close as possible or exactly as factory. But even then, not every factory heater box is exactly the same.

Bill

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Love all the work and research that it takes to undertake such a project. Nothing short of fanatical dedication to get it just like it rolled off of a very savvy dealership. I would like to meet you some day to see this unicorn. BTW, the one thing that caught my attention instantly was the spatter paint. Beautiful!!! Where can I get this magic formula???
You are exactly right Droptop 63 about the trunk spatter. My first car 42 years ago was a 67 Impala and for some reason, I remember the look and feel of the trunk spatter. The Trunk spatter paint in this 1966 Chevy II is as close as to what I remember it to be as I have ever seen. If you look closely in some of the latest trunk pictures that were posted, you can see the miniature fish eyes that have "popped". Like small volcanoes that have blown their tops. gives it that rough texture that kept things in your trunk from moving around as much as possible. Joe Miller Restorations in Forreston, Ill was 100% responsible for the Body and Paint. You would have to check with Joe and/or Tom to have it applied to your car.

Bill

41 - 60 of 160 Posts