Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pictures of an original L79 with the PCV hose & bracket in front of the carb but also have many restored pictures showing a diferent hose routing and need to know what is correct? I was told the first picture is an unrestored original untouched L79:

Picture of untouched original L79:

Many restored L79 look like this, apears to be incorrect:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
L79 Hose Bracket

Here is a picture of that original hose bracket in place on my L79:

·
13,678 Posts
That PCV hose bracket is very rare and seldom seen on L79s, even those restored by L79 gurus. In my picture album of dozens of L79s, only one other shows that bracket. The 1966 assembly manual shows it, so clean it up, put it on and then get ready to substantiate it's correctness to all the L79 'experts.':D

Bob

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought mine as a basket case with all the original parts and I cannot believe I found it. I thank you for the reply. can you e-mail me that page that shows it? [email protected]
great stuff! :yes: Happy new year to all, be safe and God Bless!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have noticed the front bracket shown in the 66 Assembly Manual. It does not give a part number and is not drawn as dark as the listed parts. It would facilatate turning the oil tube assembly clockwise to 32 degrees of center. If you did not have the additional (center) bracket, the hose would probably hit on the carb. I have an original Assembly Manual and it shows it the same as the reprints. If I had the bracket I would definately use it. Guess I need to locate one.

Before you guys start correcting the above picture. I have corrected several items. Pulley (should be standard and not deep for 37A), master cylinder cover, nut and bolt finishes, etc., etc., etc.

Happy New Year,
Jerry in KY

·
Registered
797 Posts
bracket

I have seen this one before, as well as the corvette type that mounts to the carb stud. Could this be routing/bracket for a car with A.I.R.?. I have pictures of the engine of a Canadian built car brand new and the hose has a bracket that comes off of the top valve cover bracket. The Canadain cars also have a different alternator bracket, that mounted off of the water pump and front intake bolt.

·
Vendor
1,760 Posts
Almost looks like the bracket whether mounted to the thermostat housing or carb stud is the same. Could be a variation based on the period the car was built or assembly line preference.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The Hose bracket is almost the same but a little longer with a bend at the thermostat housing. The referance to the pulley, is it the alternator pulley because mine is the same from a resturation shop that explained that was the pulley I needed for the L79..........:confused:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tom,

My reference to the alternator pulley was for the picture under your original picture in the first post. This is a picture of my car that was taken in 2009 and had several "not correct" items that I have since corrected. My car used a 37 Amp alternator and I had a deep groove pulley. That would not be correct for that alternator. The higher amperage alternators used the deep pulley. I think you are correct on the crankcase ventilation. I will probably use that routing from now on.

I was told when I had my car at the Nova Nationals (2009) by the judges, that a 37A alternator would not have a deep groove pulley. That is what I based my info on. It could be wrong.

Jerry

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jerry for your help as I am also trying to be correct. So how do I no if I am correct with my pulley? I also see the radiator is like mine, is that correct? Can I make a list of questions for you and PM them? Someone could make some money writing a book on the 66 nova restoration, like the books I have purchased for my Corvette split window restoration. :yes:

·
Registered
797 Posts
pulley

The 37 amp alternator had the large deep groove pulley, as I have had origional cars that confirm this. I also have pictures of an engine compartment of a Canadian car the first day it was delivered, showing the PCV hose bracket comming off the valve cover bolt, and the three point alternator bracket, and how meesy the fire wall wires and hoses were as assembled. Frank

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Frank, I guess my reply to that would be maybe the canadian cars had a diferent bracket and placement. I would prefer to stick with the assembly manual in this case. can you post pics though?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I noticed in the 66 Nova Assembly Manual (page 233) that the front bracket (ventilation) for RPO L30 & L77 seems to be the same bracket that is listed on page 258 under RPO L79. Part #3877445.

Jerry in KY

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It also appears that from Page 258 (below) the vent tube is not supported at all with a bracket mounted at the Carb stud. I think this confirms that the correct routing for the vent tube is through the bracket (Part #3877445) mounted at the thermostat housing and through the bracket (Part #3877445) mounted by the Valve cover hold down bolt. Thanks for everyone's input!

·
13,678 Posts
Hey guys, in our efforts to make our cars correct, let's remember we're dealing with the 60's where the only consistent thing was inconsistency:). Not all things that appear in assembly manuals necessarily happened, and many that did got changed over the course of the production year. Brackets and fasteners that appear in these books may have been quite different in reality, or may have changed as the year progressed. There are L79s that didn't have the PCV bracket on the thermostat housing, but as we've now learned, some did. There were things that were different on Canadian built cars and even different from plant-to-plant in the U.S. I'm from the school of 'anything was possible' and I don't adhere to 'my car has this, so any that don't are incorrect.' Yes, all 1966 L79s had chrome dual snorkle air cleaners and most have 3245 carbs underneath, but in the mid 80's an L79 guru had an original with a 3806:eek:. I guess what I'm saying is, we shouldn't get too caught up in 'absolute correctness,' because what was correct on one car may have been different on another.............but still correct:).

Bob

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Absolutley Incorrect.....................I mean Correct :rolleyes:
well said! :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pulley

Do any of you guys have the part # of the deep groove pulley for the
61 amp alternator?
If so, please post it.
Thanks. :):yes
Ken Joseph

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Yes, all 1966 L79s had chrome dual snorkle air cleaners and most have 3245 carbs underneath, but in the mid 80's an L79 guru had an original with a 3806:eek:.
In Tom Migut's article on the '66 L79 written for the May 1985 issue of Nova Times (Volume 4 Number 5), he states that the correct carb is the 3806 - and makes no mention of the 3245. There are only two photos of the carb in the article and neither provides much detail. The vent tube for the rear barrels does appear to be different, though. While the article is reasonably accurate, it's apparent that he didn't have access to an assembly manual for reference.

The article also shows the PCV valve turned the 'normal' way. There is no bracket on the water outlet, but there is a small bracket that appears to attach to (or near) the passenger side front carb stud. It is similar to the one in Jerry's photo, but not exactly like it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts