Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and my name is Jimmy. I have a question which I'm hoping someone could steer me in the right direction. I re acquired a car that I sold back in the mid 90's recently. It is a Gremlin that I put a Chevy V8 in back then. I had the engine since about 1985-6. It does have the recessed oil filter. The block pad # is F1223ZI, casting # is 3791362 and date code L145. Heads are casting # 3872461 date code A125. The intake is #3890490. I believe it may be an original L79 for a Chevy II Nova. My question is. Is this a 1966 L79. And am I doing an injustice using it in the Gremlin or is it something I should take out and sell to someone that may need it. I really like the engine and it runs great. Thanks in advance. Jimmy

Also, I been reading on the site for a few years as I have a 1973 Nova with a 454 small block in it. I just never joined. But enjoyed the knowledge of many here.

·
13,824 Posts
Hi Jimmy and welcome to the site. Your engine fits all the 1966 L79 Chevy II engine criteria. The L145 is December 14, 1965 and the suffix code is December 23, which would also be 1965 and ZI is the L79 engine designation. You probably won't find any folks here who think it should be in a Gremlin instead of a Chevy II:).

Bob

·
Registered
987 Posts
I would offer trade you a GM Fastburn 385 HP crate motor still in the crate for it if you lived coloser.

·
13,824 Posts
In the 70's, a guy at work bought a new Gremlin with the 304CID V/8 and a 4 speed. That car was a handful, because the weight distribution was all out of synch.

Bob

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Welcome to the Site :waving:

Hope the sell works out with one of our members....

If you have photos of it, upload some for us :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks like it has the partial vin stamped, maybe you can find it's rightful owner. Wouldn't that be a nice surprise !

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Sorry but that is one not good looking car. Sorry but that is one nice engine. Best of luck. looks like you take good pride in keeping both the car and engine very clean.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I like the Gremlin. Looks well executed from the pics, and took some work to do as well. It could have easily been a 60's TV series car.

Very cool if you can get the engine back in a Nova.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like the Gremlin. Looks well executed from the pics, and took some work to do as well. It could have easily been a 60's TV series car.

Very cool if you can get the engine back in a Nova.
Thanks. It actually gets a lot of positive attention when I drive it. I have a 1973 Nova and a 1923 T bucket that I drive pretty frequently.

·
13,824 Posts
I like it, too. Some real creativity went into those body mods. It looks better than the stock Gremlin, for sure. What do you use for a top?

Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I'm driving the Gremlin or the T Bucket. A lot of people ask, "What do you do when it rains?" I tell them get wet :). Then I say it's just like owning a motorcycle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts